Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 94 2500 4X4 with 6.5td for my father. The truck is in great shape cosmetically. The engine is an F model. The odometer is showing 164,xxx. The batteries were a lil low, but I was finally able to get it to crank over and start. I popped the hood and checked the upper hose, was not hard. I went back and checked the tailpipe smell, which had the normal fuel smell, no sweet coolant smell. The oil didn't show any grey sludge or sign of water, other than some condensation that even my 94 exhibits. Was some blowby coming out of the dipstick tube but very little out of the oil fill hole. From what I could see the PMD is the newest version, #34583. I checked the lift pump via the t-handle, there was a nice strong current of fuel and the engine didn't bobble at all. I took it for a test drive and the power felt good. The only two things that give me concern was first and foremost a distinct whine while driving. To me it sounds like the trans pump, but to be honest I am not 100% positive it wasn't the turbo. I have never really heard the turbo on my 1 ton the way some of you can hear yours, so I am not sure what the turbo should sound like. As a note, the exhaust is new and looks to be of stock size, is nowhere as large as what is on my truck and has a huge a$$ muffler on it. The second thing that popped up was of course the coolant level light would come on. I wasn't able to check the overflow container as it was hot when I got it back to the car lot. I also did not have a paper clip to pull any codes. I was able to get the VIN history from the local stealer. The only thing that has been done by a dealer was a PMD replacement at 96,000 back in 2000. The whole IP looks newer, so I am figuring they changed the whole thing. The only other oddity was that it 'pops' or has a more distinct diesel sound than my truck, is definately much more noisey. To be honest, I wish mine sounded like it. The glow plugs look original and will be a pain in the a$$ to remove. They are asking $5,000. I think the truck would be worth it, but I don't know a thing about auto tranny's. Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this whining sound?
Sorry for such a long post, but I don't want my father forking out that much for a $$$ money pit. I respect everyone's opinion here and wanted to get your thoughts on it. I am going back tomorrow to pull the codes and drive it some more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
turbo or trans. whine?

Does the whine increase with change of rpm? Don't know if maybe the lift pump would make that kind of noise. Alternator? My truck will make a noise at times, but more like a hum than a whine. plowking

·
Registered
247 Posts
sounds like a deal take to a tranny shop most will check it out for free and if ya get in writing then when bought they on on the hook to a point if they were wrong just a thought

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seemed to increase with speed. I hadn't considered the altenator. Will have to get out under the hood and do some listening with someone pressing down on the fuel pedal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you think it could be rear end whine? My 1 ton whines a little at certain speeds.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That crossed my mind, but it seems to be more centered under the dash or in front of, not to the rear of the truck. My 94 has some roar from the back end also. Different sound all together.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Whines

What about the old trick ,hold the break and press the gas (increase slowly) at the same time? Noise stay the same ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will give that a try tomorrow. Am supposed to test drive it again. LOL...is amazing how many old tricks you can forget when you give up working on cars for a few years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. My father purchased the truck, and is really enjoying it. I did all the PM stuff a couple of days ago, oil, belt, filters, batteries, etc. The truck ran great, but started getting an SES light. Ran the code and it showed the wastegate solenoid was bad. Was going to order one, but started tracing the hard vaccuum lines and found the one to the pump was broken. I replaced the lines from the pump and also to the vaccuum pot on the turbo. It is amazing how much better it runs...LOL.....also the difference with just the batteries changed was difference between daylight and dark. I think he ended up with a very good truck that will run for quite sometime. Also the IP has the green tag on it, so I know that should not be an issue. My father was quite impressed with all the knowledge this site had and appreciated the sticky's on what to look for when thinking about purchasing a used 6.5. Hopefully I can get him to use the site instead of relying on me. But at any rate thanks for all the effort everyone puts into this place. It is awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts