Diesel Place banner

Turbo upgrade

186K views 1K replies 80 participants last post by  turbovanman 
#1 ·
ok so just ordered diamond eye 4'' exhuast kit, and K&N intake kit. but was wonderin whats the biggest or best turbo to fit my 6.5? also new to diesels but could a 6.0 ford turbo be modded to fit it?

#31 ·
These are pics of the compressor and turbine.

Also pics of the T3 flange factory finish and gasket matched.

Attachments

#32 ·
how about some pics of that turbo on the 6.5? Also, why did you opt for the hx40 and not the more commonly used hx35? and wanted to know how boost is controlled and what is max psi you run? Thank you

#33 · (Edited)
These are pics of the turbo mocked up on the manifold.

To install this turbo you will need to trim 1/2'' off the turbo and 1/4'' off the GM upper intake. I know in the pics it's close but what you see in the pics are not the measurements above. There will be enough room for expansion if you follow those measurements.

You will also have to make a 1/2'' spacer to put between the upper and lower manifold. Unless you would prefer to cut the upper futher back and use silicone hose to make up the height difference.

The oil feed line will need to be tapped for the GM oil feed line fitting, and the oil return requires no mods at all, it's a direct bolt up.

Attachments

#34 ·
why did you opt for the hx40 and not the more commonly used hx35? and wanted to know how boost is controlled and what is max psi you run?

I can only type so fast, and wait for pics to upload. I'm trying .

To answer your ? This turbo was chosen because the others you mentioned were to small for me and the towing I will be doing.

The wastegate is controlled by boost not vacumn and I have it set at 20lbs.

#35 · (Edited)
These pics show the only labor intensive part off the install

I used a 3 1/2'' elbow and cut it and modded it then welded it together along with a Vband clamp adapter to the turbo exh. housing side of the elbow, and welded a bung on the bottom of the elbow to clamp to my Diamond eye D/P so i wouldn't have to modify the D/P.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things as I'm trying to get this up quick so you can get an idea of this install.

If anyone has any ?, i will be happy to share any part of this mod.

Attachments

#36 ·
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

How is the engine managing the 20PSI of boost? Typical wisdom on the 6.5 is 15PSI before blowing headgaskets and such.

#39 · (Edited)
The optimizer dosen't seem to mind it, I've run short bursts to 24/25 but a steady diet of 20lbs. seems alright. I've put 20 thou on it running that boost.Even with the old GM8 that was on there before this one.

I also have the program tuned for that kind of boost; timing and fuel curves manipulated pretty well.

Thanks for noticing, it is interesting and i will keep everyone updated about the good the bad and the ugly.

#41 ·
The optimizer dosen't seem to mind it, I've run short bursts to 24/25 but a steady diet of 20lbs. seems alright. I've put 20 thou on it running that boost.
Hmm... Ok, so us old-and-tired engine owners would still be unwise to run more 15PSI then. ;)

You mention you are (or plan to?) do a lot of towing with the truck - was the turbo change primariliy to benefit the towing ability? If so, how were the results versus the GM8?

Fuel economy better/worse while not towing?

#40 · (Edited)
Is that turbo a genuine holset or a chines reproduction?
I'm sorry I a speaka no english, only chinese aasss sssoooo.

Ow that doesn't sound right I promise you I'm not swearing at you I speaka english a very a poorly.

#42 · (Edited)
I just did this install, Economy should improve as now I have no boost cruising at 70/75 mph where as I had 2/4 lbs. with the GM8, now I have less back pressure through the exh. housing versus the GM8.

Also the egts are 200* lower due to less back pressue and the IATS are also lower.

It only lags slightly more than the GM8 off the line but pulls like a raped ape all the way to 3.500 rpm. I haven't gone higher yet but It will probably pull to 4G if I went that high.The GM8 ran out of steam at 2.800 rpm.

The gm turbo was a choke point in the small housing making the engine work harder and create more heat at high boost/load levels.

#44 ·
pulls like a raped ape all the way to 3.500 rpm. I haven't gone higher yet but It will probably pull to 4G if I went that high.The GM8 ran out of steam at 2.800 rpm.
Yep, the turbo falling on it's face is one of the crappiest parts of the 6.5 when towing - 2800 RPM is where it goes flat, no amount of pushing on the pedal does squat.

PS. Love the tires on your plane, how do you get it off the ground.LOL
The twin Rolls Royce turbines aren't visible in the pic. :p:

#43 ·
PS. Love the tires on your plane, how do you get it off the ground.LOL

#45 · (Edited)
Awesome stuff. I am thinking about this for my CUCV and running the ex on the outside of the frame so I could go 3.5 inch right into 5...:evillol:

#48 · (Edited)
How do you adjust boost? Don't understand the system...
Basically the rod from the wastegate goes to a dashpot, same as a vac. system but in reverse, boost pulls the wastegate off.

the rod is two pieces, threaded at each end, like a turnbuckle, and has a 2'' nut joining them together and by turning that nut right or left it will adjust boost up and down.

I will post a pic if that will help.

AFAIK the heath kit won't fit, never had one to try.

#50 ·
Your welcome,:thumb:

#51 ·
I see Walking J's website has the turbo and tune back on there. the site must have been being updated.

#53 · (Edited)
That's the truth kenny, I only have $450.00 in this set up and I would put it up against an ATT any day.

I don't want to bash the ATT because the turbo I'm using isn't for everyone either.

But I would run my turbo against an ATT with the same setup as mine. Heck if I had 4.10 or 3.73 my burb would be insane.[and weighs about 1500/2000 more than most pickumups!]

One person who saw my vid says my burb would kill his truck and he's running an ATT. and weighs 1800 less than my burb, but didn't tell me what gears he had or if it was a 4x4.

#55 ·
No turbo is the end all do all performance mod.

It must be planned from the beginning on what your intended goal is and then include all neccasary components to get the results your after.

I have a few more things I'm going to do to improve my current setup.

#58 ·
No turbo is the end all do all performance mod.

It must be planned from the beginning on what your intended goal is and then include all neccasary components to get the results your after.
Very True and may I just add, one should also understand what the strengths and weaknesses of each turbo are in relation to their truck, needs, location and desired end state. Different turbos are, well, different and you have to understand that there will be trade offs that may not be able to be compensated for.

#56 ·
Cool keep this updated so I can see...:D . I really may try it.

#57 · (Edited)
You can make this turbo work on your truck, just a few things you need to do.

If you can use a GM8, this will work, although without the timing and fueling mods you'll be limited to about 15lbs. of boost [which isn't that bad]. but will have a little more lag than said turbo.

Oh wait I forgot you have the insane gears, you would probably do just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.