Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 1273 Posts

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
The optimizer dosen't seem to mind it, I've run short bursts to 24/25 but a steady diet of 20lbs. seems alright. I've put 20 thou on it running that boost.
Hmm... Ok, so us old-and-tired engine owners would still be unwise to run more 15PSI then. ;)

You mention you are (or plan to?) do a lot of towing with the truck - was the turbo change primariliy to benefit the towing ability? If so, how were the results versus the GM8?

Fuel economy better/worse while not towing?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just did this install, Economy should improve as now I have no boost cruising at 70/75 mph where as I had 2/4 lbs. with the GM8, now I have less back pressure through the exh. housing versus the GM8.

Also the egts are 200* lower due to less back pressue and the IATS are also lower.

It only lags slightly more than the GM8 off the line but pulls like a raped ape all the way to 3.500 rpm. I haven't gone higher yet but It will probably pull to 4G if I went that high.The GM8 ran out of steam at 2.800 rpm.

The gm turbo was a choke point in the small housing making the engine work harder and create more heat at high boost/load levels.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
PS. Love the tires on your plane, how do you get it off the ground.LOL

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
pulls like a raped ape all the way to 3.500 rpm. I haven't gone higher yet but It will probably pull to 4G if I went that high.The GM8 ran out of steam at 2.800 rpm.
Yep, the turbo falling on it's face is one of the crappiest parts of the 6.5 when towing - 2800 RPM is where it goes flat, no amount of pushing on the pedal does squat.

PS. Love the tires on your plane, how do you get it off the ground.LOL
The twin Rolls Royce turbines aren't visible in the pic. :p:

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
Awesome stuff. I am thinking about this for my CUCV and running the ex on the outside of the frame so I could go 3.5 inch right into 5...:evillol:

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
What kind of air filter do you have to use with this setup? It seems Heath CAI won't fit, not enough space?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How do you adjust boost? Don't understand the system...
Basically the rod from the wastegate goes to a dashpot, same as a vac. system but in reverse, boost pulls the wastegate off.

the rod is two pieces, threaded at each end, like a turnbuckle, and has a 2'' nut joining them together and by turning that nut right or left it will adjust boost up and down.

I will post a pic if that will help.

AFAIK the heath kit won't fit, never had one to try.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Your welcome,:thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see Walking J's website has the turbo and tune back on there. the site must have been being updated.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Kenny,

I think they were just wondering why the ATT didn't work as excpected especially on this truck, as it does well on others.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
That's the truth kenny, I only have $450.00 in this set up and I would put it up against an ATT any day.

I don't want to bash the ATT because the turbo I'm using isn't for everyone either.

But I would run my turbo against an ATT with the same setup as mine. Heck if I had 4.10 or 3.73 my burb would be insane.[and weighs about 1500/2000 more than most pickumups!]

One person who saw my vid says my burb would kill his truck and he's running an ATT. and weighs 1800 less than my burb, but didn't tell me what gears he had or if it was a 4x4.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
yep. Exactly. I gotta send you a PM.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No turbo is the end all do all performance mod.

It must be planned from the beginning on what your intended goal is and then include all neccasary components to get the results your after.

I have a few more things I'm going to do to improve my current setup.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
Cool keep this updated so I can see...:D . I really may try it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You can make this turbo work on your truck, just a few things you need to do.

If you can use a GM8, this will work, although without the timing and fueling mods you'll be limited to about 15lbs. of boost [which isn't that bad]. but will have a little more lag than said turbo.

Oh wait I forgot you have the insane gears, you would probably do just fine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
No turbo is the end all do all performance mod.

It must be planned from the beginning on what your intended goal is and then include all neccasary components to get the results your after.
Very True and may I just add, one should also understand what the strengths and weaknesses of each turbo are in relation to their truck, needs, location and desired end state. Different turbos are, well, different and you have to understand that there will be trade offs that may not be able to be compensated for.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
TRUE TRUE.

that's why I made sure I stated slightly more lag than the GM8 but worth every damn RPM from 1800 to redline as this turbo pulls hard all the way up to 3500 and gives up little on the bottom end, especially when timing/fuel can be manipulated from the dash like mine.:D

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
How bad is the low end lag?

I've been contemplating turbos for a while now because of the inherent defeciencies of the GM8 and this has me thinking again...but the biggest reason I keep getting turned off the "common" bolt on GM8 replacements (no names) is because I keep getting scared off by all the reports of them being incredibly laggy at lower RPM.

I tow a lot and can not deal with the engine being turbo lagged so bad that I smoke out the intersection everytime I take off from a stop with the trailer in tow, nor can I wait for half the onramp to be behind me before the turbo reaches full spool and the power comes online.

41 - 60 of 1273 Posts