Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I have a 85 2500 suburban with 4L80 that has turbo issue. Oil has started dripping outside the downpipe after it runs. Figure it needs a rebuild or cartridge at minimum.

It is not the best setup, but runs OK, making just under 4psi. Would like to do a little better and looking for recommendations. Rebuild, cartridge, better wheel or whole turbo? Turbo# 149201 if that helps, vacuum relief but changing that.

I would like to straighten the intake out some and fix the mount and have found some parts for this already. The turbo adaptor is junk, obviously leaks and restricts. 20210521_192013_resized.jpg 20181108_115324_resized.jpg .

It is getting a cummins later, just no time right now ( have almost everything for it)

Just rebuilt the front end using mostly DIY4x parts, 6in springs and now running 35 BF/KO on H2 wheels. 20210527_082131_resized.jpg

Reactions: Texas Diesel Guy

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
If you replace the cartridge you'll probably maintain the 4psi.
Wanting more, I would say get a wicked wheel along with the new cartridge but for the money, you'll be spending it will come out cheaper looking for a new Turbo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda the direction I was leaning towards, but thought I would through this out. Understand I can go to around 8psi with the stock 6.2 and the wheel would give faster spoolup.
Not sure of the miles on the sub, says 37k, so figure at least 137. Was a ranch truck about to be butchered when I got it.

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
Kinda the direction I was leaning towards, but thought I would through this out. Understand I can go to around 8psi with the stock 6.2 and the wheel would give faster spoolup.
Not sure of the miles on the sub, says 37k, so figure at least 137. Was a ranch truck about to be butchered when I got it.
if it were me I'd throw a GM8 Turbo on it and call it good

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
Guess the GM8 will bolt up to the T3 then I can adjust boost?

This any good or go for a brand name supplier?

Turbo Turbocharger for GMC Sierra 6.5L 2500 3500 1998-2002 12533738 12556124 | eBay
The ebay link shows a CKO ( Chinese Knock Off brand) Maxpeedingrods has company Distributors in Australia and the US and cater heavily to the souped-up foreign car market ( Honda, Suzuki, Hyundai, etc..).

I would check with our supporting vendor Unique Diesel Welcome to Unique Diesel - GM Truck - High Quality 6.2 6.5 Parts Source

You can also check with Badger Diesel ( kr_services on eBay)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, figured as much. Prices were too good.

Question, can both ends of the turbo be clocked? Right now my oil line and drain are about 45*.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,504 Posts
I bought a Chinese clone gm8 turbo from emotorusa on eBay for a 6.5 turbo truck I no longer have and I have to say it did wake that engine up a lot over the original gm8.It seemed to spool up much quicker than the original did.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I bought a Chinese clone gm8 turbo from emotorusa on eBay for a 6.5 turbo truck I no longer have and I have to say it did wake that engine up a lot over the original gm8.It seemed to spool up much quicker than the original did.
GM-8 does flow better and spool faster than earlier models for sure, looks like he's running a GM-4 now so it would be a step up. The problem with the knock offs is the longevity, they are cheap for a reason, but, I have put higher quality cartridges in their housings and had good results.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Cummins HX35 take off wouldnt be bad either. That's what I ran on my 6.2 and loved it.

But I gotta say, that is one wacky turbo setup. Never seen it done like that to clear the AC box.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny thing is they hacked the AC dryer and didn't have to. Cut a couple lines to. I want the AC back for sure.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Just gotta make a hybrid squarebody/s10 box. That's what I understand fits the best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought about that, not sure yet. I have a couple ideas in my head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts