Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM-8 in my truck has bad shaft play and it doesn't spool very well, so I was thinking of rebuilding it by my self. Any tips I could use ?
The local turbo shop quoted me for rebuild from $495 up to $875 depending on the condition of the turbo.

I did the search but thats all I found - kind of old thread too.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14117&highlight=turbo+rebuild

I was thinking of getting this rebuild kit
http://cgi.ebay.ca/TURBO-REBUILD-KIT-Borg-Warner-IHI-GM-s-1-8-6-5-Diesel_W0QQitemZ8030727950QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe someone has one in good condition for sale ?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
You could also buy a new cartridge and install it in your housings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it possible to rebuild a GM4 once the blades have contacted the housing? Turbo is not spooling on mine. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm guessing its contacted. blades are froze. had the truck maybe 24 hours. can't tear down until after work friday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, on mine turbo was still spining but had lot of lag, it took some rpm before it kicked in - lots of blck smoke before it stared to spool.
Compressor wheel has some wear on it from contacting the housing.

I'm getting new center section today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the new cartridge, anything i should know before tearing the turbo a part ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
PL, How much was your cartridge? Where did you get it? I have a GM8 that needs a rebuild. Any info on the process would be great, and maybe some photos......

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Get a 12 pack sample a copula. Soak all the bolts in PB blaster an hour before disassembly. Sample some more. Soak the center housing where the cartridge enters. Admire the rust buildup. Sample some more. Don't ring the bolts off. Use a long 6 point wrench. Twist some more, opps sample some more. Hit the bolts with a dull chisel and large hammer to get their attention. Soak some more. Chisel the bolt like your trying to twist it off. Two lb hammer required. Check to see if the samples need more frig time. Apply more torque. Sample then ring them suckers off. Hold the turbo in your weaker hand by the compressor housing and beat on the exhaust housing all the way around till the cartridge decides to let go. Use the hammer or you may spill some of the sample. Finish off the samples and comeback tomorrow to admire your handy work. Drill out bolts, don't use an easy-out or you will be asking how to get that out after it breaks. Clean (bead blast) the exhaust housing. Apply high heat paint or house paint of your choice. Compressor housing, paint with Dull aluminum Krylon paint. Assemble with RTV on the compressor housing mating area. Careful because the exhaust housings are still in rut.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PL, How much was your cartridge? Where did you get it? I have a GM8 that needs a rebuild. Any info on the process would be great, and maybe some photos......
Got it from http://www.alamoturbochargers.com/ ,they are Borg Warner Master Distributor
They are local to me (Calgary, Canada), Alamo also has the shop in Kent WA.
New center section was $521 CDN
Turbo rebuilt from $495 to $8** - nextday pick-up
Of the shelf turbo replacment $8**

Thats not my actual cartridge (camer is in for reapairs), just one i found on the net

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just finished working on the turbo.
You really really need the 12 pack to keep you calm druing the process of unbolting 3 of the 5 bolts that secure center section to the turbine housing.Censored
Small torch dose wonders,:ro)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts