Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I owned (or I should say me and the BANK owned) a 1994 36 foot Monaco Dynasty pusher motor home.

The coach had a Cummins 300HP motor and the Allison tranny. I remember the Monaco tech telling me to always let the turbo cool down and just idle the motor at least 5 minutes before shut down after say a hard pull or if the motor has been running under a load for any length of time.

I don't have my 06 GM truck with the LBZ engine yet, but was just wondering if this is a common thing with diesel's in general?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It is not a bad idea.
The absolute WORST thing to do is rev the engine to "blow out the gunk" and immediately shut her down... that gets the turbo spinning at high RPM and suddenly oil pressure drops to zero.

The problem though, is heat. If the turbo is above 450-500 degrees, it can "coke" the oil remaining in the bearings after shutdown.
After normal driving, just a minute or less is fine and won't hurt it. After maneuvering into a parking space, my EGT is nearly always at 400. Idle for another 2 minutes or so and it'll drop to 300, which is as cool as it'll ever get unless you're descending a grade in tow-haul.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddy does that everytime he drives.. he heard that also... he has a '01 lb7 and always lets it cool for 2 minutes..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For you folks that have the Duramax now, what does your owners manual say about letting the turbo's cool off? Just curious:)

·
Banned
14 Posts
i always let mine cool down at least 5min before i shut it down.

Of course i have a turbo timer,but you shoudl...Its not good on the bearings..

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Black06 how do you have a 2006 with an Edge? :confused:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
When the needle hits 300 on my pyro I shut it down.

·
Banned
14 Posts
hey guys.

the other day i was working on my truck and i noticed the turbo inlet was a little dirty..so i sprayed some Brake Parts Cleaner on it..Then i started it up and revved it a few times and sprayed a lil more in it..to clean it out..

did i hurt anything?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
the other day i was working on my truck and i noticed the turbo inlet was a little dirty..so i sprayed some Brake Parts Cleaner on it..Then i started it up and revved it a few times and sprayed a lil more in it..to clean it out..
I wouldn't think so, since it didn't pass through the fuel system.

I'd be worried about the MAP sensor, grid heater, and perhaps even the intercooler "cold side" tank and boots. Not sure about brake parts cleaner, but carb and throttle-body cleaners are acetone-based and could attack plastic components.

Your '06 was already "dirty"? Shouldn't be, unless you were just concerned about the oil vapor buildup from the PCV system.

·
Banned
14 Posts
well i ran around for a day w/ no air filter..and had to go off road to a few job sites (i was washing it and forgot to put it back in)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
well i ran around for a day w/ no air filter..and had to go off road to a few job sites (i was washing it and forgot to put it back in)
You put a K&N in your '06?

Oh.

You don't want to know my opinion of K&N.
I really don't think you can get a better filter than the stock '06 unit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
spray that stuff in until you here the rods knockin man :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts