Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
It'll be close, but they can just turn it up alittle more....rpm range is where they have us beat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Won't even come close to the TQ numbers, so how you gonna "outpull" a D-max?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Id be willing to bet it takes a LOT more money to make an 8.1 run a 12 second quarter than it does a Dmax...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Id be willing to bet it takes a LOT more money to make an 8.1 run a 12 second quarter than it does a Dmax...
I dunno. Would be interesting to see. When i bought my truck the 8.1 was only like 850 more and the dmax was about a 7000 dollar option. Its just not fair that diesels can get soooo much more bang for the buck. Its nothing short of amazing.
Personally i think the 8.1s are very overrated. Dad has one and honestly it doesnt impress me that much. Sure its a strong motor, and i really like the transmission, but for 496cubes, i just dont think they make the power they should. My 6.0 dynoed 281RWHP and 321RWTQ (at the time i had a hypertech programmer, intake, and dual exhaust). An 8.1 put out 278RWHP and 390RWTQ. Pretty good numbers but with an additional 130c.i. you would think they would be dominant over the 6.0. My 6.0 will outrun my dads 8.1 anyday of the week. My dads 8.1 is stock and mine has the mods listed in my sig.

·
Registered
28 Posts
6.0 out running a 8.1... not too likely

I bought a 2002 2500hd 6.0L in may and my father has a 2001 2500HD 8.1L and a 2002 3500 Dump with the 8.1L. Ive got dual exhaust on my truck and that is all... His 8100 will flat out smoke my 6.0L no ifs ands or buts about it! Dont get me wrong I love my truck, but saying a 6.0L is going to outrun an 8.1L is just crazy. Maybe the retuned PCM is that much different, but put a PCM tune in the 8.1L and then line them up and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I bought a 2002 2500hd 6.0L in may and my father has a 2001 2500HD 8.1L and a 2002 3500 Dump with the 8.1L. Ive got dual exhaust on my truck and that is all... His 8100 will flat out smoke my 6.0L no ifs ands or buts about it! Dont get me wrong I love my truck, but saying a 6.0L is going to outrun an 8.1L is just crazy. Maybe the retuned PCM is that much different, but put a PCM tune in the 8.1L and then line them up and let us know what happens.
I dunno. Maybe theres somethin wrong with dads truck but my 6.0 will outrun his truck. Not tryin to stir up a big fuss, just sayin that I from what ive seen, the 8.1s are overrated.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I dunno. Maybe theres somethin wrong with dads truck but my 6.0 will outrun his truck. Not tryin to stir up a big fuss, just sayin that I from what ive seen, the 8.1s are overrated.
I've had both. The 6.0 is decent, but compared to the 8.1 it's a dog. Like they say: "The Big Block will pass everything on the road except a gas station". My '06 is a beast.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
A lot more what? If I put the cash difference between the 8.1 and the 6.6 into 8u.1 mods I'd almost be able to build a race motor. And that's before spending what you spend on mods.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
A 8.1 could probably push 1.5 times stock horsepower if tuned right with a supercharger and still stay on pump gas. So figure 520? HP at the crank or about 440-450 at the tires.

The trans should handle it without trouble as should the rest of the drivetrain.

It would be alot of fun to say the least.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
As much as we wish, an 8.1 can't pull the low end torque a diesel can. 6.0 tq peak is 4k rpm while the 8.1 peak is at 3200.... not many years ago 7.4 (454)peak was 1600 rpm, which is where the LBZ peak is at now

·
Registered
334 Posts
there is no aftermaket for the truck 8100-8200 vortec, nuff said

One can make a 8100 with 550 hp N/A(pump gas) with the right pistons.

On the flip side LS2 6.0 with just a turbo is making around 550rwhp with stock motor and I mean stock down to the air filter.

Just remember, that what lack in low end torque can be made up in high rpm horsepower.

·
Registered
903 Posts
1/4 Mile Times

Just wondering if anyone had a stock 1/4 mile time for an automatic 8.1? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I like the supercharger on mine. I don't think it would outperform the D-max. The turbo's produce a lag time while spooling up that the supercharger doesn't. But overall, the D-max can pump out a crapload of torque! They are two totally different animals and you can't expect them to perform similarly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had the 6.0 and 8.1. I pull a 32ft 5th weel in AZ. There are nasty hills between Phx and Flagstaff. The 6.0 would run in 2nd most of the way and get about 5.7 MPH The 8.1 Shifts down to 3rd on occasion and I see 9 MPH.
For my money the 8.1 is the way to go. As far as gas milage goes the 8.1 gets about the same as an 6.0.

Is a super charger hoard to install? I have thought about one myself.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well; I dont have a horse in this race, so here is my opinion on the 6.0 vs 8.1. I have driven an older(2000) 6.0l that was pretty doggy. Ran OK, but nothing special at all. I have driven TeddyBears 6.0 plenty of times, and I have driven his dads 8.1 a few times also. TeddyBear's 6.0 will outrun his dads 8.1 hands down. I have driven his truck without the tuner/ECM on it too, and I still would put my $ on it outrunning the 8.1. Just Sunday, I went with TeddyBear to haul a 6115(i think) John Deere tractor. probably weighed about 8k lbs + trailer. His uncle has an 8.1 with an exhaust, and was pulling a cattle trailer with I think 3 cows in it right behind us. We got to a stop light side by side, and were still rolling when it turned green, they both got into the throttle hard at about 25-30mph, and all the way up until Josh's 6.0 shifted into 2nd, the 8.1 couldnt pull an inch. When it shifted, we lost ground,and he pulled on us, but we had quite a bit more weight, one less gear, and quite a few less cubes. I think the 8.1 is overrated, and the 6.0 is underrated. The 8.1's run good, but the little 6.0 is a definate contender, and If I were buying one; it would be the 6.0 . I also dont like how it feels when the motor defuels for the ally to shift on the 8.1's/dmax's. I guess its all what you want, but this is my experience.

Eric

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
MTChevrolet - NO, the superchargers are not hard to install. I have a Whipple and the install was pretty simple. However, Whipple supplies some secondary injectors and some electronics that I am not using. I replaced my injectors with 42 lb. injectors and a reprogrammed PCM from Wester's. It runs awesome!

Cumminsdriver - What gears are in these two trucks? There will be a big speed difference between the 3.73's and the 4.10's. Also, the Alli chews up a little more HP than the 4L80E. As far as an overall pulling setup, the 8.1/Alli is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts