Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the FAQ and the AC number listed is 12560223. Everywhere I type that number I get what looks to be the standard small block chev mechanical fuel pump gasket. Is that number wrong? Anyone got a fel pro number? Anyone had success making their own?

·
Un-Official Chat Room Admin
432 Posts
i just did a interchange and like you it comes up fuel pump gasket so unless your parts store can't find one you may have to make your own

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
GM 14098654

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Is that for the upper and lower ? Or is there only one gasket on the return ?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
14098654 - gasget - turbo oil return line flange to turbo
12551502 - gasget - turbo oil return line adapter to block

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Thanks, I've got to also do mine. Wanted to make sure I've got every thing before I pull it apart.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That one works much better. Hopefully one of the mods will update the parts section and add the other gasket.

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now if one of the mods could bring those parts and some tools to my place and NSDTK's.....:gr_grin:

·
4,271 Posts
Now if one of the mods could bring those parts and some tools to my place and NSDTK's.....:gr_grin:
I keep wiggling my nose... Let me know if they show up!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yes, the Turbo's drain to block gasket appears to be much like the typical small block fuel pump gasket. Thats because it is virtually the same gasket as the 6.2's engine mounted fuel pump.
I speculate the 6.2 fuel pump is the same (physically) as the SB/BB chevy fuel pumps so.......

When they converted the 6.2Liter diesels over to 6.5L turbo, they substituted an electric fuel pump for the normally engine mounted mechanical fuel pump.
This change provided a most convenient turbo oil drain return while also relocating the fuel pump nearer the fuel tank greatly improving fuel supply system reliability by converting what had largely been a "suction" (air leak prone) system to a largely pressurized fuel supply system (minimizing potential air leaks DURING normal operations)..

Im fairly certain you could remove the turbo drain plate and install a 6.2 mechanical fuel pump (w/ push rod) directly in its place. IIRC 6.5 cam even has the mechanical fuel pump lobe ground on it..

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the part number was kinda right? Just not enough description. At least its right now. Just have to figure out if fel pro ever made one now.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
12551502 is 5182. The other is not made by felpro.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Ordered a set from the Bay, will tackle that oil leak soon.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not had the lower one apart but don't remember it being a big deal to do the upper one. With the inner fender out there was reasonable access. Good time to check the GP's and starter wiring on that side while in there.

·
My 6.5 scared a prius
1,215 Posts
the SAME gasket will fit from a chevy small block 289 all the way to the diesel and the 396 big block and 400's and 454's... there ALL the same for the fuel pump/ turbo oil return.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
pss, just between us.. the 6.5TD oil filter is compatiable with those used on early small block chevy too.. Im using the same xtra qt (long) oil filter I used on my previous small block hotrod (not recommended for 4WD models).. Such info could help those individuals lookin' for oil filter relocate kits for 4WD models though....

Curious if theres any shared exhaust manifold bolt patterns eg 396 BB header flange compatiable, flipped upside down or otherwise...

·
My 6.5 scared a prius
1,215 Posts
as long as you have the adapter in the block, you can fit a filter from a late 60's chevy v8 all the way up to 90's v8's. at least the one thing chevy didnt change much of. if it isnt broke dont fix it. and you can still use it for the 4x4 trucks as long as u use the Shorty oil filter.

·
4,271 Posts
the SAME gasket will fit from a chevy small block 289 all the way to the diesel and the 396 big block and 400's and 454's... there ALL the same for the fuel pump/ turbo oil return.
Was the 289 a chevy displacement? I know 283... Perhaps you meant 265? The first small block chevy? 289 was a ford displacement...

·
My 6.5 scared a prius
1,215 Posts
yeah meant 283... sorry i got so many damn engines stuck in my head that im bound to get one number off :hehe:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts