Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been test driving a few dmax trucks, I am going to buy one before too long. The only thing I don't like is the lack of turbo noise. Will switching to a open air intake make more whistle? I am just wondering, my ford spoils me when it comes to turbo noise

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
958 Posts
All I've done is dropped in a K&N filter (stock airbox) and straight-piped the xhaust, the turbo whistles nice and loud now. I may go to an open intake too if it really will make it much louder but I'd like to hear one in person first.. Otherwise I'm happy with how loud it is now.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mike
Couple of options for increased Turbo whistle ....

You could:
1) Open up the front of the airbox below the filter by "swiss cheese " method, bunch of small holes, and drop in a KN. ore AFE, or Amsoil stage II replacement element....
2) Or buy a stage I KN. or AFE setup with an open face element .....
3) Do like I did and buy a stage II Afe setup and I tell you people will look up as you whistle pass .....

I recommend a Nylon wrap on any open face which will filter to 5 um ....

There are others .... Hopefully those with additional experience will add to this thread .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mike,

Like you I was very spoiled by the whistel of my dodge. The day I got my dodge I took the baffel out of the turbo so I could hear it. When I got my d max I was sad to find out that there was no baffel to take out. But since I found out that new airbox kits will help Im shopping for those as we speak! I am also getting the banks monster to enhance the whistel.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mackin said:
Mike

I recommend a Nylon wrap on any open face which will filter to 5 um ....

Mac

What is the nylon wrap you are referring too? something that goes over the filter element? Where do you get one? I have seen what your talking about i think on motorcycles, but they were usually to keep water from going in the filters when riding in the rain on bikes without factory airboxs.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mine definately whistles more since swiss cheesing the airbox and adding the Amsoil two stage air filter.

I recently re-installed the Amsoil filter after running the stock one for a while. Very noticable difference but nowhere near the whistle of a PSD or Cummins.

When shopping for a diesel, how loud the turbo whistled wasn't a buying consideration. I do like hearing it but that's just something you get with the turf.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
They are a outer wrap that offers greater filtering cabibilities and sheds water as you suggest ...

Outerwrap is the company I believe that manufactures them ...

I got mine at mrbobsdiscount.com .... I'd give your the hyperlink but I'm at workie .. I'll edit later ...

You can see it in my PICS ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the replies. It is not something that makes a difference when buying a truck to me, but it is a side effect that I enjoy. I did notice on the dmax that the turbo is much louder outside than it is in the cab, must be good insulation. I have the afe on my ford and love it. Thats probably what I'll end up doing.

Mike

·
Registered
403 Posts
If turbo whistle is what you want, install an AFE stage II air filter.......

·
Registered
403 Posts
GMC,
Working on it....... Guages next, then the Banks........
Oh yeah....... then the OJ
Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i think the stage 2 runs round 250 but im not sure i got my stage 1 real cheap. cant be much more for a 2' piece of pipe that someone premangled. Edited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Dieselman84 said:
How much does the AFE run?

I paid some where around $230 delivered for the stage two complete kit. Most places sell it for $280 and up. I'll try to find the invoice and post the hyper-link.

It is well worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
what does the stage 2 do that the 1 doesnt. besides look cool. got a killer price on the stage 1 and didnt even know it

·
Registered
340 Posts
Any one know the differance between the K&N filter KIT and the AFE stage II? I can find the K&N for $210. Love to order tomorow but just wondering if there is a diffence?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Check the location of the Mass air sensor ,I say some ,Some trucks had issues with setting a ses code with the KN ..... If the the mass air sensor is to far down strean compared to stock the readings may be skewed to the ECM ....

Mac

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have an 03 3500 and have never set a code with the K&N, Predator or Juice installed.

Jess

1 - 20 of 25 Posts