741 - 758 of 758 Posts

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
any adware block enabled? if so try disabling it

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Good point OK. I thought you were onto something, but when I disabled it for this site, it still doesn't show.:(

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Ya not working here either .... and

:nopics:

soooo ....

Not quite so good lookin' 60 back grounded by some Hick Town guy .... held up by a small ranchy non fwa 2130 .... don't even ask the hrs on it ....

and PSA time ...

10985053_10153611912063714_6205721047746602210_n.jpg

indexrege.png

:coffee:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
There it is, in all its glory. Thanks BBT. Pretty hefty looking rear, but Danas have always been the caveat of durability. And Nate, I hope your airbag is functioning, cause you're gunna need it when you stomp on your new 4 wheel disc set-up.

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
There it is, in all its glory. Thanks BBT. Pretty hefty looking rear, but Danas have always been the caveat of durability. And Nate, I hope your airbag is functioning, cause you're gunna need it when you stomp on your new 4 wheel disc set-up.
What is this airbag.... K20 will still be disc/drum. I need get the brakes off an 02 or so 14 bolt. My S10 though, that's getting 4 wheel disc. It's already got the big blazer brakes, gonna get blazer discs in back.

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not gunna bother adapting the 4 wheel disc, Nate? Wouldn't think it would be needed on a 4WD diesel vehicle anyway. Wasn't sure what direction you were goin.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Ha ha ... sooo close ... that my friend is no rump diff, she a D cup of the front world!!! :coolnana:

Yes, disc's would be really nice especially in a heavy 4x4, off road, down hill ... and ya just absolutely gata stop .... but they are actually fairly expensive to adapt if you still wana keep the diff parking brake. It would be money ahead to get a newer diff with disc's.

:coffee:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
Long term plan is I'll probably nab the rear discs off an 03+ (I think that was the change over year). That way I get dual piston rear discs that are factory designed and have a parking brake (drum in hat). Just one more thing on a truck that only really gets driven on weekends.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Well kiddos, we're back!! But there's a twist! The 6.2 DID NOT blow up on me this time! See, I told y'all I could build an engine if I did it all top to bottom. But that engine I built last time I did on the cheap so it had a freight train's worth of blow by from the get go and I knew it would. Who knew a bunch of bore taper and belling at the top would do that?! 🤦‍♂️I think I was up to a quart every 250 miles or so. Smelled like a tar factory driving around if you didn't get it really hot.

So here we are, tired engine, I got a shop, some extra time, and a hankering for a little more poop from this truck. Off to the good ol' list of craigs I go! Y'all can probably guess what happened next...

Yup, that's right. It's time for two less cylinders in my truck. Sorry to my purist friends, but I promise you the old 6.2 will live on in another truck! Already have plans for it, just gotta find the right truck, and fix that whole burning more oil than diesel thing.... Picked that green turd up for 2k with a bad trans and a worn out front end. 267k on the clock, unmolested, and the engine is amazingly clean. 97 2wd auto truck.

Engine? Check! Now what about a trans and transfer case? Back to the list of craigs I go again! Actually Facebook marketplace on the truck and the next parts. Mid winter I went to look at a 91 Cummins truck with the engine out and found out it wasn't as advertised so I walked since all I wanted was the drivetrain. Fast forward about three months and here comes the drivetrain from that same truck for sale for half the price, no truck this time. Boom! I'm in the truck and out to pick it up. I know, cruel to make the old girl haul home her new parts. Out of all those parts the only thing actually going in the truck is the transfercase, but I had to package it all together, and who doesnt need spare parts?!?

I'm trying my darndest to not make this just another run of the mill 5.9 swap, so I started on the hunt for a transmission to add one more gear to the truck. Found a wrecker with one, who was really proud of it, but had it. So down south I go in the little parts runner! G56 in tow on the way home. Lets not talk about what that cost... I'm still traumatized. I am also going to try my hardest to make this look like a factory install. Factory parts as much as I can all the way around all the way to the cooling fan.

I spent the early part of the spring sorting the NP205 that the PO managed to screw up every way possible. Sounds familiar don't it? It didn't have low range OR 4x4... The front flange was destroyed, idler bearings were MIA, and it was dribbling all over my floor. Pulled it apart to find the wrong seals in it and two gears put in backwards so the dogs were facing the wrong way! I went out to my pile of parts (told ya spares were handy!) and hijacked an NP205 tail section from a GM case so I could use the GM speedo gears and all that for easier parts availability. I also took the idler bearings out of that same case so it would have a chance behind this engine. It is now all back together and waiting to be married up to the G56.

Fast forward to last week and it was finally time. Backed the truck into the garage for the last time under 6.2 power and proceeded with tear down. I am about two bolts shy of having the engine out of the truck. Trans and t-case are on the floor already.

I have the core support mocked up to use the donor trucks intercooler an radiator. I'll snag some more pics of it as this is it's almost final form. I'm hoping the filler neck has enough hood clearance. I am pretty sure I will have to do something about the inner fenders, but nothing a quick plasma cut wont fix!

And if any of you were wondering what the trucks last load was, '08 CTS with a bunch of water damage. Im a sucker for more projects than a I need... But this was the breaking point for me. I pulled it home basically floored up anything other than the slightest hill.

I'll keep y'all updated as I go. In the end I'm looking forward to this in the truck. Should make for a solid hauler. Sorta wish I was doing it in a 4 door, but that's another truck I haven't found yet. Maybe next time!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,760 Posts
Excellent !! I will be following. I miss my 6bt, should have kept it and put a manual in it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya can’t really argue with with the power, reliability, and aftermarket support of a 6BT. It’s just usually so hard to find them cheap so well done!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
Yeah, I couldnt beat the 6bt for what I wanted to do. When I turbo'd my truck I about doubled my power. Im expecting to about double my power again going to the 6bt after I do a little bit as far as mods go. I spent plenty of time watching trucks waiting for a reasonable deal to come along. That green 97 was about 15 minutes from the house, but the paperwork was a tad funky. Nothing too wild, but that was throwing buyers I think.

6.2 came out today and now all I have is an empty bay! Plan is to do some pressure washing this weekend and get it cleaned up a little then start stripping the last few things out before I start to test fit.At some point I need to clean this engine up so I can use some parts from it and the old block to build one engine. Someday...

Reactions: legendman

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,760 Posts
That green 97 was about 15 minutes from the house, but the paperwork was a tad funky. Nothing too wild, but that was throwing buyers I think.
Paperwork doesn't matter when you are taking what you need, selling the leftover stuff you don't need and scrapping what's leftover. :D

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Paperwork doesn't matter when you are taking what you need, selling the leftover stuff you don't need and scrapping what's leftover. :D
Sorta. Gotta have papers to get rid of a carcass around these parts. Though there are ways :p

Got the new crossmember bolted together and in the truck. Need to figure out where I want to place it.

Just built an engine pallet for the 5.9 so I can pull it out of the Dodge. It should be out by the end of the weekend! Got some other work to do and I need to run out of town to get some body panels for the truck.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
Spent some time this weekend liberating that cummins from the dodge! Got it sitting on the floor and cleaned up. Need to change out the exhaust manifold and intake horn then it goes into the truck for the first test fit! Oh, also gotta put the motor mount pads on. That might me helpful!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,760 Posts
That poor Dodge, not. :geek:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
Test fit! Gotta get a bit liberal with the sledge and a block for sure! But it sorta, kinda, sorta fits

741 - 758 of 758 Posts