Diesel Place banner

721 - 740 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Whoa! that's one wicked lookin turbo motor Nate. Good luck with the installation, and maybe we could see a video of the 1st ride-a-long?:thumb:
I definitely need the luck! Hoping this is the last time you guys see this engine out of the truck!

I'll do what I can to get some videos for ya. Hopefully it will sound as good as good as the last motor/turbo!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
It's in the truck and running!

Lots of little stuff to do still, but I'm out of time tonight to post photos. Y'all will have to wait until later for them.

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Congratulations Nate. Can't wait for the pics, stories of the install, and the cruising video. Good job. Now go get some sleep. You deserve it.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
*This is pretty much my mind dump of everything that I did Saturday and everything that needs to be done*

So as you all know, engine V2.5 is in the truck now and running! I always forget how much of a pain in the arse this engine is to actually get back into the truck. I feel like I have to contort it in there to get it in just right so the clutch lines up with the input shaft, the motor mounts fit, I get the starter over the hump, dont crush my fingers, and not pinch that darn clutch hose! I have no method on this, honestly me and my Dad who helps out everytime push it around for about 20 minutes and sooner or later everything lines up :hehe:

So dropped it in and busted ass wrenching. Exhaust from the CKO40 bolted up to the HX35 with no issues which was sweet! swapped out the radiator shroud because the old one has always had a broken oil line holder thing then promptly broke the "new," on first fan because the fan just touched this new one.... Not sure if the engine just isn't sitting down in the mounts enough or what, but this gives me an excuse to actually fix one of these shrouds the way I want to!

Per usual it feels like, first fire was basically 10 minutes from it being dark... But got it primed, glow plugs in, hit the plugs and cranked with nothing then it just lit nice about 10 seconds of cranking in! Stumbled some and settled right in. Did a quick leak check then ran it up and down the street a few times to try and get the rings seated.

First impressions, the HX40 sounded better down low. Once the 35 lights it sounds just as good. I didnt run it hard enough to have any other impressions of the 35.

I changed pumps to one from an engine from a buddies burb we parted which I found out needs the roller on the advance lever replaced. It drags so badly it's amazing! So it sounds like I'll be making something on the lathe at work to replace that.

I need to actually plumb in the CDR, which is really a catch can straight to the intake. I need to build a bigger one as currently it goes from inch-ish hose down to 5/8 I think. Not really enough glow, but enough to not goof anything up.

Radiator petcock leaks. Must of drained the coolant too many times or something :whistle:

I probably should put the rest of the clip on too, but no clip makes it go faster:HiHi:

OK, enough of my blabbing, here's a couple pictures! Once I get it buttoned up I'll get y'all some videos, because who doesn't like 8 cylinders and a turbo whistle!?!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks good Nate. Thanks for posting. You know what they say. "3rd times a charmer".

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
Looks good Nate. Thanks for posting. You know what they say. "3rd times a charmer".
Im way past third, but I'm crossing my fingers!

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Glad you have it in, and up and running.....J&J.

Reactions: roadhog0

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So Nate, are you troubleshooting, or have you been involved with other projects? Looking fwd to your opinion of the new motor.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Well, I've got about 50-100 miles on it now. So far so good. Did the initial break in oil change. It's got a few minor issues like cold advance acts like it is letting air into the IP so it does some weird surge like stuff. It also has a small oil leak from the turbo drain per usual... It also has a little stutter at idle, but this was a known running IP, but not how well. Though so far overall I am quite happy with it! Havent had it on the highway yet though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like nickle and dime stuff that you'll have figured out in time. Can't wait to see the video once the bugs are worked out. Almost there Nate. Great job, so far.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
So.... I bought it new parts, therefore the old girl is probably going to blow up again lol! Though it's running pretty well lately. Slight hiccup at idle which is either a low compression cylinder or a worn IP. The IP is a known running, but not how well.

Picked up a Dana 60 for the truck (and a spare 14ff) for a darn good deal. Though pricier than they were last time I tried to buy one.... None the less, nice looking axle. Hope to have it in the truck maybe in the spring? Thinking new king pins, pack the bearings and maybe a lunchbox locker.

Reactions: 1967KaiserM715

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Hmmmmm ..... that's some high quality truck P**n there .... !!!

:coffee:

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
We are not seeing any image.......J&J.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Hmmm was there the other day...

I'll paint ya a minds picture in lue of the broken link... a complete 60 hanging by a chain off a home owner sized fwa loader tractor...

·
Administrator
16,936 Posts

I'll paint ya a minds picture in lue of the broken link... a complete 60 hanging by a chain off a home owner sized fwa loader tractor...
Picture in post #732 is showing up in thread for me:confuzeld

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #737

I see it too. But BigBoy paints an accurate representation.

That Massey turned an official 1000 hours when I started it that morning. Unofficially it has an estimated 3-5000 hours and an engine rebuild on it. The original owner we bought it from had put a tach cable in it twice and a tach in it once I believe. Turned out the last time it was broken the crimp on the cable end was bad. 30 seconds with vice grips and the tach has been going for a couple hundred hours.....

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It's not for me now....on my phone or home pc...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,936 Posts
It's not for me now....on my phone or home pc...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
I switched over to Microsoft Edge and it will not view the pic with that Browser.
When I switch back to Chrome the pic can be viewed.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm on chrome, it can't see it either.

721 - 740 of 760 Posts