Diesel Place banner

701 - 720 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
they look massive the way you angled your shot.
I didn't really think of that until I looked at it again. Though, they are pretty beefy!

Pretty cool you've stayed motivated on this for 5 years, Its a miracle if my attention span lasts a week! Looking good!
Can't let it beat me man! Can't let it!

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Got LOTS of work done today on the 6.2. Got the oil pan painted and the girdles unwrapped :hehe:

But as to not be a tease, here are some girdles!
Looking good, have you had an opportunity to test fit on the bottom of a block yet with the oil pan? We found that the front corners needed to be machined in quite a bit, to clear the oil pan. Another method can be what MaxPf did with his, and make a custom oil pan (MikeyVon has that motor now). Looking forward to seeing more of your progress and pics....and eventually the start-up vids....J&J.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have to agree with DJ, Nate. The girdle photo is pretty deceiving. I thought they were laid on the floor in frt of your feet. They look about 4' long. Then I looked closer and it appears they're on a table, with your feet much lower. Can't wait to see the installed photos.
Keep at it bro.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Looking good, have you had an opportunity to test fit on the bottom of a block yet with the oil pan? We found that the front corners needed to be machined in quite a bit, to clear the oil pan. Another method can be what MaxPf did with his, and make a custom oil pan (MikeyVon has that motor now). Looking forward to seeing more of your progress and pics....and eventually the start-up vids....J&J.
I have to agree with DJ, Nate. The girdle photo is pretty deceiving. I thought they were laid on the floor in frt of your feet. They look about 4' long. Then I looked closer and it appears they're on a table, with your feet much lower. Can't wait to see the installed photos.
Keep at it bro.

I havent had a chance to fiddle with them yet.... All I'm ever doing is fixing everyone else's [email protected]$).... I'm hoping to get studs in tomorrow and get some bearings in and plastigauged! But I've got an oil change on the daily and a crank position sensor on the neighbors honda first. :coffee:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
The usual, everyone else's stuff got done this weekend and almost nothing on mine..... But I finally dug in and found the source of the knock in my neighbors Civic! Four completely coked up EGR valves. Runs much better now! Now to figure out why it's a POS :hehe:

But I got the cam in and end play dialed to the tight side, crank sitting in the block, and studs in! I to back the center studs out about a turn, maybe two. They don't stick out far enough.

The girdle fits all the pins! I need to do some finish work on them to fit the oil pan and to fit the mains better ( a little too much meat for them to sit right on the cap). I'll have to modify that in my design so hopefully next time it'll be drop in! Couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Looks nice. What brand of piston you running this time?

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Nice girdle!!!!! :whistle:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #708

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Finally got a day where everyone isn't after me to work on their stuff! Amazing what kind of progress can get done on a day like that :rolleyes:

So started with just a crank sitting in the block, got that plastigauged, all good at 0.003 on all of em. Started stuffing pistons into holes, plastigauged those bearings, 0.003 on all of them as well. Put the mains in the right way (not pulling a Bates Tech School here!!)

Installed an oil pump from a parts motor (the guy I got the motor from said the one in it wasnt the best). Put some lifters in from the parts motor.

Got the new timing set on, and put the came spacer in and loctited the bolt in (not getting burned by that again!). Set timing and bolted on a timing cover from the parts motor (it's not getting painted, just dont care).

Got the oil pan on with a little help from the cat and called it a day! Hopefully heads and top end tomorrow then back in the truck next weekend!

Also, that's my cracked piston this time around in the other block I'm stealing the heads from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Looking good Nathan.....:thumb:

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
You don't plastigauge cranks with oil or grease on the crank! You will get a false clearance.
"Fig.1 . It is recommended that surfaces be clean prior to use of*PLASTIGAUGE"
Genuine Plastigauge - How It Works

And don't plastigauge from below without supporting the crank, Ask me how I know this. Duh

Oil or grease on the crank will make the reading tighter than what the clearance really is. Doing the clearance check underneath without supporting the crank will make for extremely tight clearance. Especially on a very heavy crank.

To get excellent results plastigauging the crank must be completely clean and dry. I check with a micrometer before the build and do a double check with plastigauge at build time. I have built some engines with different brands of bearings to get the final clearance I am looking for. Not all bearings are the same.

Not knocking your build, just passing on info that might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
when you're as talented as you are, what can you expect but to be busy with other peoples projects. at least you don't have to get in the mood to do your own work. it takes the planets lining up to get me started.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
You don't plastigauge cranks with oil or grease on the crank! You will get a false clearance.
"Fig.1 . It is recommended that surfaces be clean prior to use of*PLASTIGAUGE"
Genuine Plastigauge - How It Works

And don't plastigauge from below without supporting the crank, Ask me how I know this. Duh

Oil or grease on the crank will make the reading tighter than what the clearance really is. Doing the clearance check underneath without supporting the crank will make for extremely tight clearance. Especially on a very heavy crank.

To get excellent results plastigauging the crank must be completely clean and dry. I check with a micrometer before the build and do a double check with plastigauge at build time. I have built some engines with different brands of bearings to get the final clearance I am looking for. Not all bearings are the same.

Not knocking your build, just passing on info that might be helpful.
As an ME I should of thought of this. But yes, I did mic the crank before everything and it's dead on so I am comfortable with the results. I will definitely keep this in mind for next time though! Im always happy to learn something. I'm just so use to lube it all up before it goes together.

when you're as talented as you are, what can you expect but to be busy with other peoples projects. at least you don't have to get in the mood to do your own work. it takes the planets lining up to get me started.
Oh dont worry, I have to get in the mood too. The truck blew up in February, I didn't order parts for a couple months. Took until July to pull the spare engine from the yard and find out it was bad, then until September to actually get it together :hehe:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
Now for today's progress! Cleaned the heads, "machined" the precups down a little more as I didn't really go enough last time, cleaned the head studs twice which took forever, sprayed copper coat on the head, block, and headgaskets, put them puppies together, sealed the studs with Permatex High Temp Thread Sealent (Loctite 592 equivalent), torqued the heads down and called it a day!

This is the first time I'm not using RTV to seal the studs. I've had mixed results with RTV, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. So I figured I would try the Permatex, it has good reviews and I've used plenty of their stuff in the past with good luck.

Also if anyone remembers from the last time I put this engine together, I found exactly where the leak was that came out the head. The 6.5 gasket has a metal sheet that runs right along the coolant passage and it must of been just loose enough there for water to get by. Picture of that attached.

Now for a few pictures! If you'd believe it, the heads and the block are the same paint color, just five years of dirt and grime separate them...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Not a lot to report. Spent Saturday hauling about 28 tons of gravel with the '46 and negotiating the sale of a '94 K1500 from the second owner who has only put about 30k on it in 17 years :RockOn:

As far as my truck, I got rockers in, valve covers on, water pump on, and injection pump on. So it's getting there!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
Mimicking the last few weekends here. Got the below truck for my sister and spent the afternoon fixing quirks with it before she took it home with her. Nice truck, not perfect, but just right for what she's doing with it. 1994 K1500 that even has a power driver seat (big deal, I know....)! I believe it we even got really lucky and it has a SF14 bolt and a 4L80E in it. I need to confirm this, but that's where I'm at off memory.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not bad Nate. Looks pretty clean. I imagine it's a little bitty gas motor?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Not a lot to report. Spent Saturday hauling about 28 tons of gravel with the '46 and negotiating the sale of a '94 K1500 from the second owner who has only put about 30k on it in 17 years :RockOn:

As far as my truck, I got rockers in, valve covers on, water pump on, and injection pump on. So it's getting there!

Woo hoo..I got that beat, I've put 16k miles in 20 years...and its been running and street legal the entire time. Thread-jack over...back to your regular scheduled posting.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
Not bad Nate. Looks pretty clean. I imagine it's a little bitty gas motor?
Yup, itty bitty tree fiddy. Nice truck though. Got some quirks, but Im happy with it at least. We'll see what she thinks long run.

Woo hoo..I got that beat, I've put 16k miles in 20 years...and its been running and street legal the entire time. Thread-jack over...back to your regular scheduled posting.
That's pretty good! Some of our trucks barely get used.

For today's update. This is what I got! Pretty much everything is squared away, just a couple dinky things and it's back in the truck! I'm hoping next weekend, as long as it's not a rain out.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Whoa! that's one wicked lookin turbo motor Nate. Good luck with the installation, and maybe we could see a video of the 1st ride-a-long?:thumb:

701 - 720 of 760 Posts