Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new LBZ has about 500 miles now. I don't know that I have noticed it before but today on the highway I pushed the go pedal to the floor doing about 55 to pass and one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three, power. Is this turbo lag? This is my first diesel so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's mostly tranny lag. Turbo lag is most noticeable trying to scoot across the intersection after a stop. It quite move as quick as you think it should for the first couple of seconds.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldn't think it would take 3 seconds if it was turbo lag, especially if you matted the throttle. Sounds more like the Alli hesitating to downshift to me. The LLY I test drove the other week had a slight "lag", but it was only like a 1/2 second. I'm used to the gasser in my sig having istantaneous response to throttle inputs, but I didn't think there was much delay between squeezing the throttle and the turbo spooling up. Only a guess on my part...

·
Registered
83 Posts
thats so you can line her up before it takes off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ro)

·
Registered
125 Posts
my truck has about a 1 second delay when punching it at about 30 mph, according to onstar all the diagnostics check out to be good.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
get try rolling into the go peddle you will get better results

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm at about 5500 miles and mine has done that two or three times. It's not 3 seconds, but it's definitely 2 seconds. I have to say it feels like there's no go juice more than tranny lag. Maybe it's just the feeling though. Still, it doesn't do it everytime which I find odd.

At the same time, I've just started noticing here and there a feeling of either a slight miss or slight surge (or both - hard to tell which) at times. Could be highway speed (65+) or back road speeds @ 45-50 mph. Never notice it at low speeds though and it only lasts for no more than 20-30 seconds (less if I let off the throttle and go back to speed). I can't duplicate it at will, but will be taking it into the dealership anyway. Just need an inspection, but might as well have 'em look at it while it's there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does she not have a euro-turbo now (variable geometry Mecredes-type)? It responds like the 80's turbos on the BMW's to me... (At least I think it was BMW)...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 06 lly had the same hesitation @ around 55mph, when you would floor it it felt almost like you would tap the brake it would kick me foreward for two to three seconds and then go.
I took it to a friend of mine that works at the dealer and he updated the program. The delay is now only about a half a second and it does not kick me foreward plus you can actually tell that the delay now is with the downshift and not fuel like I originialy thought. He told me that there were several updates to the programs. It took 15-20 minutes to load the program with the Tech 2.
I didnt ask what updates were actually done but at least one of them helped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention that my trucks build date was in August 2005 so some of these updates are probably done on the later trucks.
Also my truck is stock except for 305/70/16 tires and weld stone crusher wheels, bully dog programer is on the way.
2006 lly/a cc 4x4 sb vic red.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I forgot to mention that my trucks build date was in August 2005 so some of these updates are probably done on the later trucks.
Also my truck is stock except for 305/70/16 tires and weld stone crusher wheels, bully dog programer is on the way.
2006 lly/a cc 4x4 sb vic red.
Hmmm...Mine is the same build date. I'm taking it in late next week to have them look at that and a couple of other things. If you could find out what he loaded, it would be good info to have - just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will talk to him again tomorrow when he orders my programer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a little lag as well. Thought it was turbo until I started paying attention. It's definately the tranny waiting for a downshift. Since these are throttle by wire I tried a couple things. One was pushing the pedal to the floor as fast as I can, the other was push fast but stopping before hitting the floor. I seem to get a quicker downshift if I don't make it all the way to the floor. Once engaged I stomp it and LOOK OUT!!! The other option and my personal fav is to go to "M" pop down to 4 or 5 then get on it. Great way to get that turbo spooling before needing the truck to move :ro)

RAGGED EDGE: please share the updates. I need to check my build date (is that on the inside of the drivers door?) I bought mine in mid-Sept. but it was in the inventory for a while so it's probably a little older.

·
Registered
68 Posts
II need to check my build date (is that on the inside of the drivers door?) I bought mine in mid-Sept. but it was in the inventory for a while so it's probably a little older.
Re: Production date...look for a white sticker, a few inches long, on the frame just below the cab. It has some bar codes on it, and also list the build date.

JAFO

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Production date...look for a white sticker, a few inches long, on the frame just below the cab. It has some bar codes on it, and also list the build date.

JAFO
Thanks I think I will walk out to the parking structure at work and look right now.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The frame sticker is *close* to the build date but not the actual build date. It is the date of origin for the frame. My 2001 had June on the frame and my actual build date (taken from the VIN) was August. There is a "window" of 2 to 3 months between the frame date and when it gets under a fully assembled truck.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Some of it is lag, and some of it is the power characteristic of a diesel.
Do an experiment. Cruise at 2200 RPM (fifth about 80), and nail it. The delay you feel there is lag.

Now do the same thing at 1500, if you can keep it from downshifting. Now what you feel is the combination of lag, and the low end output at 1500rpm. These engines "come alive" at 2100, and the power under 1600 is anemic.

Even if you had 600ftlb of torque at 1500, it's only 170HP or about as much as a modern 4 cyl Honda puts out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts