Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a southern LLY for a "running around" vehicle recently and want to get the famed turbo inlet swapped out ASAP (but may also do a CAI in the future). My question is this, If i swap the turbo inlet with a stock LBZ inlet, and want to do a S&B CAI down the road, would the one for the 06/07 LLY/LBZ work? The body and internal engine bay dimensions are obviously the same as this is pre-bodystyle change, but I wasnt sure if there was anything else to consider.

And yes i did ask S&B but they were unwilling to have any sort of discussion outside a product #s intended vehicle (for obvious reasons and i dont blame them)

Was just curious if anyone here has done or would be able to offer any insight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The LBZ air intake will fit nicely if you have the stock LBZ mouthpiece. However you will need to revise the ECM tuning since the LBZ piping is a larger diameter. Your maf sensor won’t read accurately without this change. Therefore your ECM won’t know the correct boost to command from the turbo.

That being said the stock air filter assembly up to the mouthpiece is good for well over what just a max effort stock trans tune will get you. Look up how to modify the air box and keep the stocker on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LBZ air intake will fit nicely if you have the stock LBZ mouthpiece. However you will need to revise the ECM tuning since the LBZ piping is a larger diameter. Your maf sensor won’t read accurately without this change. Therefore your ECM won’t know the correct boost to command from the turbo.

That being said the stock air filter assembly up to the mouthpiece is good for well over what just a max effort stock trans tune will get you. Look up how to modify the air box and keep the stocker on there.
Thanks for the information! Good to know i dont "have" to go buying a bunch of things i don't necessarily want to, especially right now. I got a great deal on the truck, and even though its high mile, it was just a commuter vehicle and that's all i'm really using it for as well, so its stock (minus the EFILive to disable EGR until its deleted). Plus its already had the heads and water pump done, so i don't have to worry about that either :)

I've seen a couple different variations of how to mod the airbox, is there a recommended or "favorite" version?

·
Registered
20 Posts
And do yourself a favor by staying away from the K&N style filters for the stock box. The ac delco filters the best and won’t be a restriction for your current needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts