Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problems started about 3 months ago when i was hauling a load of dirt. As I was pulling away from a stop sign i noticed the cooling fan was engaging and not shutting off as usual. I looked at the temp gauge and it only rean 195. I knew somting was wrong. About 5 min later check engine light comes on, truck wont rev past 1800. Go to local shop hook up OBDII says MAF out of range. When checking to make sure connection was good i found the intake tube to be so hot i could not touch it. In fact it was so hot it melted the area where the screws held the maf in and it had poped out. So i fixed that problem and got back on my way sure enough it happened again. I have been readingthe air temps from the MAF with a OBDII scanner hooked up to my lap top and i am getting temps over 200 with motor temps of 220. No wonder why truck has 0 power. The turbo is getting so hot it is actually boiling the fluid in the return line (you can hear it). What i have realized is the heat is radiating from the center section of the turbo all the way to the air box. It is also creating so much heat that the intercooler is getting so hot you can't touch anything on the front of the truck. This is where i am lost. Any ideas of what would make the turbo heat to such and exxessive temp. BTW the truck has absoulutley no power, ever. It feels like i am driving a V6.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

PS
I have had just about every recal (including injectors done to the truck)h

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't belive it does. From the header there is a single 4 inch round pipe that goes straight to the muffler. It exits straight down just before the rear axel. I know it is hard to tell but listing to the exhaust it does not really sound to be restricted. There is no "hissing or Whining".

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
bad turbo bearings? restriced turbo outlet coolant line? hmmm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Almost sounds as if the turbo is locked up and not working. That would create excessive heat also, along with the CAC temps being so high. Also would explain the loss of power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well no luck with all the suggestions. Took off muffler and ran it no luck still no power. One thing i did notice however was the turbo whine was much louder. Is there anything else that could be restricting the flow of exhaust. There is no cat by the way, just a straight tube from the header to the muffler. The Turbo spins freely (can see it with intake hose removed). Also when driving the turbo can be heard whistling. Could it be possible that the flow of air from the turbo through the intercooler is being restricted. I noticed that the tube coming from the turbo going into the intercooler get much hotter than the one going from the intercooler to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
turbo locked up would smoke. was any materiel missing from tube that melted maybe obstruction holding air back, may need to remove CAC tubes and filterbox tube and check for blockage. debris inside CAC would not allow air to slow down and cool, instead speed up and not give off heat.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If the turbo whines then I think you could rule that possibilty out. How long has it been doing this? Was there any changes/mods done to the truck? Are you reading the 220* of your engine of the factory gauge? If it really is 220* that is hot for an LB7, mine never gets above 210 with a large load on it. The only things I can think of is a plugged intercooler, airfilter, or some sort of restriction in front of the intercooler/radiator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i tried and retried all suggestions. No luck. I brought the truck to the dealer yesterday and they were trying there hardest to tell me it was an air flow problem created by the plow. I told them over and over that it will happen with or with out the plow. I also made mention that they did sell me a winter cover for the truck when i bought it and if there plow theory was correct then why in the world would i ever need a winter cover that would block even more flow then the plow. To that there answer was HUH good point. But the still insist on looking an the cooling aspect rather than looking for what is generating all the excess heat. I will update again once i hear back from them. Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yea the plow has nothing to do with it, I have run a winter cover when it was 70* out and it ran just fine. I would be interested to see what the engine is building for boost. I think at this point it is something electrical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The boost hits a max of 32psi

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is pretty HIGH,Your signature does'nt say much,If you have some type of Boost enhancer than never mind. But if not your Waste-Gate is'ntworking or some other exhaust feature is resricted.32 PSI Is Kinda high for longgefety reason's on a stock turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts