Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Hi,
O4 lly just lunched a turbo at 29,000km. have there been any turbo problems with the lly? Dealer phoned and said they have ordered a new one. Symptoms were a high pitched fluttering/chirping noise from turbo at certain rpms. it was especially noticeable when blipping the throttle in park from idle to approximately 1500rpm and back down again. There was no loss of power or excessive smoke.
Thanks laker

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What did you have for power mods? The lly turbos that I have read about going bad were either excessive boost or too long with high EGTs.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Based on you description of the noise, it sounds like what my truck has been making since day one. If I let up on the throttle and lightly "step into it", when I'm right on the edge of adding power, I get a "fluttering/chirping" noise, but I don't think it's the turbo.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Based on you description of the noise, it sounds like what my truck has been making since day one. If I let up on the throttle and lightly "step into it", when I'm right on the edge of adding power, I get a "fluttering/chirping" noise, but I don't think it's the turbo.
My truck as been doing this same thing. sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Mine starts just off idle with acceleration but will continue if I accelerate hard. The weird thing is that it only does it when the transmission is in gear. I cannot hear the noise in park or neutral. It doesn't make any sense to me. I have posted several times here about this noise and nobody seems to have any ideas or help. please help us out:help:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think I read awhile back about someone having grenaded their turbo and per GM the entire motor assembly had to be replaced. Hope that your truck will be ready soon. Nick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.the truck is bone stock and has never been pushed really hard. The turbo is on order and they have told me that i can drive it until the turbo arrives. not to impressed with this latest failure especially after having all 8 injectors replaced at 24,000 for misfire and high balance rates.
thanks laker

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dealer just rec'd my new turbo today. Mine just started with the high pitched chirp(squeal). It would start at 9lbs of boost on up. Tech and I rode together to try and diagnose and could only repeat at 9+ boost. Thank goodness we caught it on my pre-36,000 mi warranty check up;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts