Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any info on shutting down procedure. In the Ram Cummins, it has a section on time before shut down to cool off the oil in the turbo, yet I can't find this info for the duramax.

Also, can't find beak in procedure for the duramax.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I always let my turbo spool down for 30 seconds with no load.And with a load more time to whine down.Thats just me though.As far as a breakin time the first 500 miles fluxuate the speeds not steady.And go for it after that.Have fun dude.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i second what maxy was stating. i normally wait between 30 seconds to a minute before turning it off.

everyone is worried about break in. The first word is BREAK. So, drive it like you stole it. It will hold up for sure. Otherwise, all warrantee repairs in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
you will see a lot of people talking about letting the egt's cool down to a certain temp. but that's just not the case. the purpose of idleing before shutting off the engine is you do not want the turbo spooling without a flow of oil through the bearings. 30 seconds of idle time before shutdown is ample time to cool the bearings.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I shut down at 300-350F

Cheap insurance. Turbo housings retain heat, watercooled center section or not.

Turbos as a rule are designed to last the life of the motor. Hot shutdowns are not recommended, and will shorten turbo life.

But it's your call. Turbo timers work well for this if you are impatient. Turn truck off , get out and lock doors, and the turbo timer will shut down when you reach your preset temp.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Same as above, i let mine idle for at least 30 seconds to a minute and i run full synthetic oil to prolong turbo life.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
5-10 seconds no load couple minutes loaded, cant hurt to idle them and let ehem coold down. I always thought idling was bad esp around 20psi oil pressure but dealer said ok. I dont see why gm cant make a switch you lock your door turn on the timer and have a shut down built in.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Letting them cool down is important but not enough to add a factory timer...semis dont even have them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thejdman04;1606472; said:
5-10 seconds no load couple minutes loaded
I agree with this! I think people worry a little to much about idle down.

Do you think all the LTL freight companies have their drivers back into the dock and idle down for a few minutes before the drivers shutdown and get out-no-I dont! What about the UPS trucks, Cummins motors, how many UPS drivers are sitting around waiting for their package trucks to idle down?

Oh well, no idle down and 20,000 mile oil changes, no synthetic, and I have seen and driven trucks with 500,000-1 million miles no overhauls and orig turbos. Trucks are tough, made for work sometimes you can baby them all you want, and will still have failures, others you can hammer them, and they run forever. I baby my LBZ for fuel economy.;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
MOORESTANGS;1606635; said:
I agree with this! I think people worry a little to much about idle down.

Do you think all the LTL freight companies have their drivers back into the dock and idle down for a few minutes before the drivers shutdown and get out-no-I dont! What about the UPS trucks, Cummins motors, how many UPS drivers are sitting around waiting for their package trucks to idle down?

Oh well, no idle down and 20,000 mile oil changes, no synthetic, and I have seen and driven trucks with 500,000-1 million miles no overhauls and orig turbos. Trucks are tough, made for work sometimes you can baby them all you want, and will still have failures, others you can hammer them, and they run forever. I baby my LBZ for fuel economy.;)

Well mine idles as long as it takes me to get it from D to P. Never had a problem with my '02 and did the same thing with it.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
sometimes you can baby them all you want, and will still have failures, others you can hammer them, and they run forever
Exactly, The big trucks I have driven esp the detroits etc always had a 5-7 second idle thing on them, they would idle for 5-7 depending on how factory set them before they shut themselves off. I always leave stuff run always. If im not gonna be goen for more then 10 min I dont worry about the little fuel it will take.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
also, not to get o/t but does anyone know why they shut those ups trucks off???? Truck stops by twice a day every day. Many times we dont have anythign coming or going out. Our driver doesnt lock his truck, but shuts it off walks in nothing walks out, starts it up and goes. Why shut it off esp when you know it probably will be a quick stop. If they ware worried about theft etc why not give them 2 sets of keys one ofr the ignition one for the door? Seems like its an awful lot of start and stops.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
it's probably co. policy for the driver to take keys with him when he leaves the truck to keep somebody from stealing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts