Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good easy to get roughly 115mm +/-10mm turbo charger that would go good with my HE351VE?
Elevation sucks and I might be going a lot higher.

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The HE351VE has an 85mm or 86mm compressor.
You usually want to go 20% or 30% bigger on the atmospheric turbo.

· Registered
275 Posts
Your 351 should be 60 mm inducer on the compressor wheel. We normally go by the inducer size of the compressor when measuring turbos.

· Knows The 6.5
3,101 Posts
Not always, Garrett goes by the exducer. Not to mention there are many different wheel options depending on the turbo.

Would be nice if everyone was on the same page though, I always try to list both the inducer and exducer, both numbers are important especially with us because we don't have the same aftermarket support, we tend to use take offs or clones vs aftermarket.

So far, I do believe your buddy Cumminsfever has the biggest turbo used on a 6.5.

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why would some one only measure the inducer?
Yes the HE351VE has a 68 or 70 trim compressor. Trim and over all compressor diameter matter most for me.
The inducer measurement only would be least useful to me. I like to go over the compressor map too before I comit. I compared GM8, T04, banks side winder, HX40 and HE351VE maps.

I would rather get a used OEM take offs than chinese knock offs, so no knock offs..

What turbo does cumminsfever claim to run on his 6.5 and is there any reason/proof we should believe him?

· Premium Member
12,430 Posts
Why would some one only measure the inducer?
Yes the HE351VE has a 68 or 70 trim compressor. Trim and over all compressor diameter matter most for me.
The inducer measurement only would be least useful to me. I like to go over the compressor map too before I comit. I compared GM8, T04, banks side winder, HX40 and HE351VE maps.

I would rather get a used OEM take offs than chinese knock offs, so no knock offs..

What turbo does cumminsfever claim to run on his 6.5 and is there any reason/proof we should believe him?
:popcorn::popcorn:

· Premium Member
3,211 Posts
You go by the inducer, because that determines how big a bite of air you take at a time. The larger the inducer, the higher the trim, the better if flows and hurts spooling, and can cause surging when too big. The larger the exducer, the lower the trim, the less it flows, but helps spooling.

Are you sure about the trim on your HE351VE compressor? I though the inducer was 60 and exducer 86, which would be trim of 48, so youre starting with the wrong assumptions, and why Littleboy said youre thinking too big.

· Registered
95 Posts
If you go over to TTS, I have a thread. Title "center mount turbo". In there you will find pics of my turbo, and a pic of the tag on the compressor housing.

· Knows The 6.5
3,101 Posts
You also got a video don't ya?

I watch that thread close, its the only thing worth a damn over there.

I also hear you find the .3L of the 6.5 vs the 6.2 helps drive the turbo better too.

· Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I imagine the 6.5 heads also help over normal 6.2 heads, with better flow and the change in precup openings.

· Registered
9,919 Posts
if you go over to tts, i have a thread. Title "center mount turbo". In there you will find pics of my turbo, and a pic of the tag on the compressor housing.
tts?

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same heads.
Oil pan, just curious, why You wanting compound turbos?
I would like to explore the possibility since I might be moving to a much higher altitude. I will know more when I go on a road trip that takes me close to 9,000ft.

What would be a good compound to add to the HE351VE?

· Registered
9,919 Posts
Same heads.
Oil pan, just curious, why You wanting compound turbos?
My guess would be he can leave the 351 wide open then use a smaller turbo to spool it, that way, no worries about turbo control on the VGT unit.

· Premium Member
12,430 Posts
I would like to explore the possibility since I might be moving to a much higher altitude. I will know more when I go on a road trip that takes me close to 9,000ft.

there are cummins guys on another forum that i frequent that have had success using the 351 for the high pressure turbo and either an s-465 schwitzer/borg warner, or an holset/garrett/schwitzer ht3b with a 26cm2 housing for the low pressure.... IMO using the VGT turbo as the low pressure turbo is a waste of time.... you will need to research a bit, so you can setup the external waste gate(s) properly to have a nice functional setup... although dumping that much fuel will need a bigger IP, though you might be able to start out with the .290" IP........ i think you will be better off lowering your compression some to fit in all that air/fuel... littleboy will agree with me im sure, that lots of air and lots of fuel= bent rods and headaches...LOL.....

· Registered
275 Posts
Know all too much about bent rods. I would personally go with something a little better flowing than the 351ve. More airflow is far better than a restricted turbo that boosts quickly .....

· Registered
1,221 Posts

elevation, why would you put that much effort into a dual setup because of elevation?

just turn up the boost if your worried about power, than again i know around here from 3000 ft to about 8000 ft snowmobiles only compensate by about 3-4 PSI

but to me, a compound setup is restrictive and creates more heat ,

but turbo wise, id say even a bigger turbo dont hurt, i mean unless your trying to drag race at street lights in the moment, turbo lagg isnt a issue in a truck, and even if you do race you just brake stand quick to start off with some boost for a head start

but hell i dont know a ton about turbo charging with compounds, so dont take me trying to rub somebody the wrong way! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 245 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.