Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where I can get my 2001 duramax turbo charger rebuilt. I have no warranty.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think you will be better off buying a new one, to get it rebuilt will probably be just as much, and a pain in the ass. Check out some of the vendors here, they probably have new and used ones in stock. If you plan on pulling it yourself ou better have alot of patience and time, it is not a fun job. Also how did you blow it?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Crankitup diesel has used LB7 turbos for 200 dollars IIRC...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I blew it up by just starting it one morning and going down the road about 2 miles and reaching a speed of 60 mph. The truck has 117000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I would also check the camshaft bearing when you replace the turbo. In some cases, a failed turbo MAY take out an engine too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the truck still runs, but produces white clouds of smoke when it is given fuel.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I would not run it until you have the new turbo in. If the turbo seized, it wil not supply oil to the top camshaft bearing on the engine.

As far as white smoke, im not sure....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
white smoke sounds like injectors, or rings not turbo. We need more info if you want more help. Mods, symptoms, etc. I also have a used turbo off an 03 if that is what it is. I would think that the turbo would be making noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my mechanic says there is fuel and oil in the turbo exhaust. ( I think ) I don't really know much about diesels. The injectors were replaced at 97000 miles and when just idling doesn't smoke. We have cleaned the mas if that's what its called. Seemed to work for about a mile down the road than started smoking. The mechanic seems to think its turbo.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
hmmm

Im beginning to think its not the turbo.

What are the injector balance rates when measured with a Tech 2? No offence to your mechanic, but has he ever worked on a Duramax before or is he just blindly guessing?

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you need a turbo, I have a used turbo off my 01 Duramax. The turbo had 52,000 Km ( approx 40,000 miles) on it when I replaced it with a D Max Turbo. The turbo is like new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't know if he has worked on a duramax. I willask tomorrow. I did ask about the injector balance rate and he said he checked with a tech device and was ok.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I dont think its a turbo at all, is it making odd noises? Is it making its normal whistling noise? Unless you have modded it, or your cam bearing spun and the turbo was starved for oil I dont think its the turbo. Let us know what your balance rates are.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
If the seal in the turbo housing goes bad it will let engine oil into the intake side and you will blow a lot of white smoke from burning engine oil.

And it will make a mess of the inside of the intercooler and pipes.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The IHI turbo is water cooled as well. So it's possible if the turbo is the problem that the problem might be allowing oil and/or coolant to be burning up and making the white smoke. Again, if it's the turbo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe that my Turbo went out also but dealer has not tore it down yet.
They want anywheres from $1600-$2400 thru GM. I found a used(low miles) for $700. We will see when they get it tor down, mine only makes noise but does not blow any smoke of any color out. Just the bearing went I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts