Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you seen my recent post about the turbo blowing.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65336
I spent a majority of the other day removing, cleaning, and installing the intercooler, pipes, and tubes. I followed the cleaning method posted by Got juice and it worked great. I also drained the oil, installed new filter and replaced with Amsoil, as usual. The OEM turbo was apart, on the truck, so I reinstalled the coolant lines. I then attached a tube from the turbo oil feed to the oil fill tube, in order to bypass the turbo. I started the truck....LOTS of smoke. I guess this was to be expected since almost ALL of the oil was moved through the exhaust and CAC. The truck started and ran fine except...a VERY distinct knock coming from the oil pan area. I was not too worried about all of the smoke because i know the oil will eventually burn out of the exhaust. But...now I have THE knock.

So here is the deal....I have this all scheduled: The truck is leaving this friday and being hauled to Ohio to Crank It Up. The boys are going to install the big boy:D The Aurora 5000, head studs, and 40% nozzels. Once the install is finished, I am flying out to drive it back. So now...i have this knock problem.

My questions to the DP gods (since I didnt talk to Kyle tonight:) ):

What is the likely origin of the knock? bearings?
Was this most likely cause by the truck running out of oil(It ran for less than 1 min. until I figured out the HUGE problem)?
What is involved in the repair?
What else do I need to know about this problem? (leaving a large space to get hit on this one):h )

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
uh oh, if you did indeed run it dry, and it is a knock most likely coming from the rods, I would guess you have a scarred crank. If all of this is true the diesel gods have a crankshaft/underhaul in store for you.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Dang, that is tough. Glad the cleaning went well. Laquer thinner is the BOMB when it comes to cleaning out oil residue, especially synthetics.

Rod knocking? Maybe have Kyle check it out. I do hope it all works out for the best.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Did you run it dry? Completely?

Did you inspect to see if the cam bearing spun? (peek down the turbo oil feed hose outlet on the block and check to see if the oil passage in the cam bearing is lined up with the hole)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you run it dry? Completely?

Did you inspect to see if the cam bearing spun? (peek down the turbo oil feed hose outlet on the block and check to see if the oil passage in the cam bearing is lined up with the hole)
Not completely...maybe less than 1 quart left:eek: ...ok...maybe completely.

I did not check the cam. Do I just remove the turbo oil feed tube at the block? The oil passage in the cam should be lined up with the feed tube hole? Just wanted to clarify which hole:D

Once I get this all straightened out and the new goodies installed...will my truck be able to run a 15 flat in the 1/4?;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have oil pressure when you shut it off?
What kind of pressure do you have with it now?
VERY minimal pressure when it was shut down. The oil pressure is fine now. Since I am not letting the truck run too long, the fresh start up yeilds 50-60. I am pretty sure on that number, but I could start it again for a few seconds to confirm. I do know that it comes right up.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If there was still pressure when you shut it off, there was still oil flowing throughout the system. Is it a metal on metal knock? Or is it just coming from the pan?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The oil feed hole is the front one that the banjo bolt goes in... The back one with a 2 bolt flange is the drain... You want to use the front hole in this case:eek:

Not completely...maybe less than 1 quart left:eek: ...ok...maybe completely.

I did not check the cam. Do I just remove the turbo oil feed tube at the block? The oil passage in the cam should be lined up with the feed tube hole? Just wanted to clarify which hole:D

Once I get this all straightened out and the new goodies installed...will my truck be able to run a 15 flat in the 1/4?;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there was still pressure when you shut it off, there was still oil flowing throughout the system. Is it a metal on metal knock? Or is it just coming from the pan?
It sounds like an old cummins. It does sound like it is only coming from the rear, lower portion of the motor, near the area of the oil pan.

The oil feed hole is the front one that the banjo bolt goes in... The back one with a 2 bolt flange is the drain... You want to use the front hole in this case:eek:
Thanks Max.

The truck was just loaded up on the rollback. It will be making the journey from NJ to OH early tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bearings, Crank, 7 rods all perfect condition......

Number 7 Cylinder dead. Connecting rod went soft pretzle style.

All the others check out fine, I'm glad it was only one as the intake runners were full of oil.

I hope the "Level 10" Trans can take this beast when its done.:ro)

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's getting a full overhaul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts