Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, having problem with cracks, big, around bell housing. Have welded once already, now I think this time to far gone, chunks falling off after pulling bolts too remove.
The trans also has the two braces from the motor mounts to the trans inspection cover. Also the brace from the bell housing to the transfer case, 205.
I rebuilt trans 20,000 miles ago, HD internals. The truck is an 82 Chevrolet K30 Silverado, 40 over 6.2. Still a good truck with 130,000 miles.
I use this truck most every day off road at work, mud, twisting, turning, hills, you name it, this truck goes till it is STUCK, then dozer or highlift pulls me out to do it again.
I was thinking to try solid motor mounts, solid trans mount, or the HD case, having seen one thinking it might be stronger. Now the problem, finding a useable core to rebuild with my internals or find a replacement that isn't a kings ransom.
Any input would be appreciated since now I have to use my 85 K30 Dually Silverado with 6 inch lift, 35s, 400 turbo, Detroit lockers, warmed up 454 that gets 6 miles to the gallon, but it is fun to wheel.
What is the best way to beef up trans or go to 700 instead, I want to stay auto, I have all the manual parts already...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Reid Racing Super Hydra 400 Transmission Cases SH400OFF - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

i was around those when they were still prototyping, seen em at koh and a few other ultra 4 events some years ago now..

between that and kilgores innards you could blow 6-10 grand on a superhero 400.

but, i would wager you simply had a shitty case, and the only way to keep that from happening again is to pop 1600 for the reid case...which is ruthless at a minimum.

the gm cases all fail more then the others ime.(they all fail)...even the 4l80 when wheeled hard...the th350 is particularly a cowardly pos....we tried everything to beef em up due to the packaging of them...no more.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
put it this way.

if i ever build something that can use a 3 speed trans....that will be it. whether another cuda', a mustang or some sort of gm ride.. no second thoughts on that at all.

i pray they do that for the 4l80 and come up with a deeper overdrive.

Reactions: MissouriMuleK30

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
Line-up pins in the block missing maybe ?

Solid mounts might not be the way to go.. need something to absorb the vibes.

Also check the joints on the front driveshaft, binding in those joints creates vibrations which somehow crack the bell.

Reactions: MissouriMuleK30

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey bobbywalter,
Thanks for the input on the upgrade of the case. After I get finished with reply I will bounce in on the site and check it out.:HiHi:
Maybe I am expecting to much out of the factory case, or like you said also, maybe just a shitty case.
I have had standards in the past but have gotten to like auto's for the ease of driving in rush hour traffic and have their own inherit problems of their own.
Exploding clutch assemblies, ripping up starters, bell housings, floorboards, another topic another time...:eek::coolnana:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Line-up pins in the block missing maybe ?

Solid mounts might not be the way to go.. need something to absorb the vibes.

Also check the joints on the front driveshaft, binding in those joints creates vibrations which somehow crack the bell.
Thanks legendman, :bow:
Solid Mounts will not help, you are right, need all the flex I can get. Also breaking trans mounting bolts.
No, the alignment pins are adjusted all the way out, and are tight in block and fit snug in trans holes.
However you may be on to something with the front driveshaft, torque from T case, yea what a laugh, working against torque from engine, twisted up frame, maybe binding up drivetrain, stressing at bell housing causing failure.
Front shaft has been replaced with clearenced u-joints, proper length, for no binding?
Thanks again any input at all, constructive is best, helps us all with similar problems. I know this happens, seen it before.
Keep those thoughts coming.:confuzeld

·
respect the DB4 5722....
12,490 Posts
Reid Racing Super Hydra 400 Transmission Cases SH400OFF - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

i was around those when they were still prototyping, seen em at koh and a few other ultra 4 events some years ago now..

between that and kilgores innards you could blow 6-10 grand on a superhero 400.

but, i would wager you simply had a shitty case, and the only way to keep that from happening again is to pop 1600 for the reid case...which is ruthless at a minimum.

the gm cases all fail more then the others ime.(they all fail)...even the 4l80 when wheeled hard...the th350 is particularly a cowardly pos....we tried everything to beef em up due to the packaging of them...no more.
its a work of art for sure, but id just buy a junker truck with the $1500, have a half arsed tranny, and another engine to check for main cracks...:hehe:...

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
I just have to ask if its a 4x4 case to begin with, it should have a big K cast on it. I've never seen too many issues with cases cracking beyond extreme use or if someone cut down a 2 wheel drive shaft to match a t-case.

Reactions: turbonator

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
I just have to ask if its a 4x4 case to begin with, it should have a big K cast on it. I've never seen too many issues with cases cracking beyond extreme use or if someone cut down a 2 wheel drive shaft to match a t-case.
I thought the 700r4 only had the K cast on them?

th400 also ?

I did see some info where the bell is cut off and a stronger one is bolted to the front pump.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
I thought the 700r4 only had the K cast on them?

th400 also ?

I did see some info where the bell is cut off and a stronger one is bolted to the front pump.
You may have me on that one. I haven't had to deal with a th400 since the mid 90's lol

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts