Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSB# 03-06-02-005

Loss of coolant and white smoke out the exhaust = injector cup seals. (not the only diagnosis)

Coolant loss with no visible leak, white smoke from the tailpipe or coolant odor in the exhaust may be caused by a leaking fuel injector sleeve seal.

This is a metal-to-metal seal where the injector sleeve fits into a bore in the cylinder head.

The bulletin includes illustrations along with diagnostic and repair instructions.Edited by: hoot

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
<H1>Engine Coolant Loss with No Visible Leaks (Reseal Injector Sleeve) #03-06-02-005 - (06/13/2003)</H1>Engine Coolant Loss with No Visible Leaks (Reseal Injector Sleeve)

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

2003 Chevrolet and GMC C4500/5500 Models

with the 6.6L Diesel Engine (VIN1 - RPO LB7)<A name=ss1-1345516><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1345516&evc=numSrch#ss1-1345516" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition</A></H5>

Some owners may comment on engine coolant loss with no visible leaks. Excessive white smoke or a coolant type odor coming from the exhaust pipe, along with low coolant levels, may indicate coolant in the combustion chamber.<A name=ss2-1345516><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1345516&evc=numSrch#ss2-1345516" target="_blank">
<H5>Cause</A></H5>

Condition may be caused by engine coolant entering the cylinder due to a dirty or damaged seal between the fuel injector sleeve and the cylinder head.<A name=ss3-1345516><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1345516&evc=numSrch#ss3-1345516" target="_blank">
<H5>Correction</A></H5>

Perform the following diagnosis to determine the cause of the coolant loss.

1. <LI =1>External/Internal Coolant Leaks:

1. <LI =A>Verify that there are no external coolant leaks. Refer to the Loss of Coolant procedure in the Engine Cooling section of the Service Manual.
      <LI =A>If the vehicle is equipped with an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, inspect the EGR valve and intake system for evidence of internal coolant leakage. Replace the EGR cooler if any condition is found. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Cooler Tube Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls -- 6.6L sub-section of the Service Manual. </LI>
    <LI =1>Cooling System Pressurization:

1. <LI =A>On a cold engine with the cooling system depressurized, install the J 24460-01 Radiator Pressure Tester.
      <LI =A>Start the engine and bring it to operating temperature.
      <LI =A>Shut off the engine.
      <LI =A>Using the J 24460-01 Radiator Pressure Tester, bring the cooling system pressure to 15 psi (103 kPa).
      <LI =A>Allow the engine to cool. Observe for a drop in the cooing system pressure.
      <LI =A>Disable the fuel system by removing the IGN 1 relay on C/K trucks or the IGN B relay on C4500/5500 trucks using the J 43244 Relay Puller Pliers.
      <LI =A>Disconnect the 4-wire glow plug control circuit connector from the glow plug relay/controller assembly.
      <LI =A>Remove the glow plugs. Refer to the Glow Plug Replacement -- Bank 1 and the Glow Plug Replacement -- Bank 2 procedures in the Engine Controls -- 6.6L sub-section of the Service Manual. Inspect for evidence of coolant on the glow plug tips. Note any cylinders that show evidence of coolant leakage.
      <LI =A>Place white paper in front of all the glow plug holes and crank the engine over for two compression strokes.
      <LI =A>Inspect the paper for evidence of coolant and note the appropriate cylinders.
      <LI =A>Release the pressure from the cooling system and remove the J 24460-01 Radiator Pressure Tester. </LI>
    <LI =1>Cylinder Leakage Test:

1. <LI =A>Rotate the engine to bring the cylinder to be tested to Top Dead Center.

<LI =A>Install the J 35667-9 Cylinder

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I get white smoke on a hard take off after running for an hour, could this be the source of the issue. I had to fill my fluid up several times and the last 6 months it seems to be just fine. Is it possible or something else.

The white smoke does not last very long. As soon as I am up to speed the white smoke cloud behind me is gone.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it needs coolant every so often... you got a leak.

I never experienced white smoke when my headgasket went. Just abonormal coolant levels and coolant temp drops.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hoot,

I see no visible loss of fluid. Any suggestions on what next step can be. I have 48k on it. I went through a period where in a few months I lost a gallon or so but now I am not lost a drop for about 10-15k.

I get white smoke on hard take offs after running at a consistent speed for a while.

I go through the tollway in IL and when I take off from them, a cloud is following me. I call this the diesel kiss.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
239 Posts
After going several months with no loss, checking it weekly. I had 3/4 of a gallon loss. I used up the remaining gallon I had on reserve and now it has been 3 weeks and no loss again.

Sure is interesting how I can loose a lot and then go a while and loose non.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts