Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 6.5 L Turbo Diesel. Lots of miles. I notice the oil pressure gauge is pinned at 40 psi on start-up and for a bit after start-up, but once the truck warms up the psi fluctuates down to about 20 psi when you take your foot off the accelerator. I understand as long as the psi doesn't drop below 14 psi everything should be fine . . . that this is "normal." I spoke with a diesel mechanic who also said this is normal.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have similar issues? Is this normal or a sign of looming disaster?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Green-Machine

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
sounds normal to me :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Oh by the way......WELCOME to the site!! Always nice to have a fellow 6.5 join!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
More psi when cold (oil thick), drops a bit when warm (oil thin) = normal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Always seamed like a big drop to me. It use to worried me, BUT both of my 6.5Ls did the same thing....just like the voltage swing/ dash light blinking just after start.
So it's normal (or we all have the same problem).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the replies! It is a huge relief to know 1) this is not a disaster . . . at least not yet; and 2) that the mechanic I talked to had some idea what he is talking about (seems like a reliable source so that is good confirmation). The truck has 260K on it but drives beautifully. So far I'm enjoying it. Can't wait for snow! Happy holidays to you all.

·
Registered
907 Posts
i go from 60-40

·
Registered
969 Posts
its always been like that, i swear when we all got those trucks for the first time it was our first question atleast, asside from how to make more power lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Very normal and symptoms will differ a bit, depending on your type and grade of oil

·
Registered
647 Posts
is it bad if mine jitters? It jumps all around when idleing. In a small space but back and forth pretty quickly.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
is it bad if mine jitters? It jumps all around when idleing. In a small space but back and forth pretty quickly.
Mine does this also. I'm thinking it's normal....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Might have a bad OPS brewing---Sounds electrical.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My truck stays on 40 hot or cold. My jimmy is like 50 when cold and when I step on it itd around 90psi. At idle hots its like 20psi, I heard 10psi for every 1000rpm is OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine goes form a little over 40 to exac 40 and prietty much stays there all the time

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Our '95 does this. I had to replace the OPS to fix the LP yesterday, figured it would also fix the jitters, it didn't. The truck has 566 000km's so we figure the gauge itself has been around the block a few times.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmmm

Our '95 does this. I had to replace the OPS to fix the LP yesterday, figured it would also fix the jitters, it didn't. The truck has 566 000km's so we figure the gauge itself has been around the block a few times.
My 1995 just started doing this also. When I purchased it, it would run at 50 cold, and then settle down to just around 35 at idle when warm. When I switched to mobile 1 synthetic, it seemed to run a little lower, but still about 25 at idle. However, it has been "jumping" between the 25 and 35 at idle. I have also been having a "jumpy" tach. My tach wasn't working, so I replaced the alternator, and now it works, but jumps around. Could this indicate problems with the dash itself?

anybody had this problem and solved it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is there just one sending unit for both the gauge and LP? I bought my truck 6 months ago and i notice the gauge sticking/jumping once in a while. Last night it stuck at 20 and didn't go up to 40 like usual on the highway. the next time I slowed down and brought the rpm back up it went right up to 40. Freeked me out for a minute when i saw it at 20 on highway. Maby the fact that it was -17F had something to do with it. :(

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
combined unit OPS gives oil press signal to dash gage and controls voltage to lift pump, read up on it's operation in FAQ reference material

·
Registered
366 Posts
combined unit OPS gives oil press signal to dash gage and controls voltage to lift pump, read up on it's operation in FAQ reference material
Sorry didn't think of looking there. I did a search and after the second page of threads I was getting tired of looking for answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well mine does the same thing so i'm gonna have to say it's normal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts