Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric, I really hate to ask for front end help because I used to be a front end and brake mechanic. My truck started pulling to the right several months ago. I hadn't been off road or run up over a curb but I decided to give it a little negative camber on the right side to see if that would help. It didn't help. I decided to rotate the tires. Now it pulled to the left. I rotated the fronts to the back and put the camber back where it was. A couple weeks ago I bought a new set of BFG ATs. It is back to pulling to the right again. Rotated the tires but it still pulls to the right. Gave left wheel a little positive camber the right a little negative. It still pulls to the right. In the middle of all my dealer put on a new gear box to correct the steering rattle. I was told that the pitman arm only has one index position to center it. Is this true or could they have installed it off center far enough to be assisting all the time? I hope I have not confused you with all this information. I am open to suggestions. Thanks. Later! Frank

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Frank, the pitman arm is indexed, even if it was off, it would only cause you steering wheel to be off.. they dont really have a 'nuetral position' in the box.. The more I read it, the more I have to wonder if you have a tire pull. Even know you say you have new tires.. Are you setting alignment with a machine? What specs are you using?... You might try putting some pos caster in the left side and maybe taking alittle out of the right, that way you wont have to worry about tire wear

I can get the specs and post them for you if you dont have them.. Just becarefull of too much camber/toe,,, dont wanna ruin them new BF's

Eric

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Another thing to check; Make sure they used the same size tires on both sides. I had this happen to me once. And check the tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. All the tires are the same size and at the correct pressure. I already rotated the fronts to the rear to eliminate them as the source of the pull. I have not been a line mechanic for near a 100 years but my bad memory keeps telling me something about an over center adjustment. I got stuck on the box as a possible source because it seems to take more effort to make a left turn and the steering wheel goes around farther one way than the other to make a full lock turn. Thanks again for the suggestions. I will figure it out and let you know what I find. Later! Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts