Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather finally cleared up and it turned out to be nice so I gave my new dually its first good bath. I had hosed the road salt and mud off several times but hadn't put a soapy sponge to it yet. As I washed up in the fender wells and other various hard to get to places, I was surprise at how cheap this thing is put together. :rolleyes:

There's a thin, cheesy, plastic box shaped wire loom that carries the wires along the underside of the bed above the rear axle. If that thing lasts a year without flying off I'll be surprised. Attached on either end with chincy plastic push screws, no support in the center. :eek:

When I was washing the roof, I noticed all four of the door gaskets were exposed to the elements, sticking up a tad above the sheet metal. Hope I don't rip them out if I drive under a bush. Around the grill and lights, as I scrubbed I noticed all that plastic crap flexing and moving in and out, must be made so thin you gotta be real careful when washing, might push them out.

That air dam below the grill is so flimsy it's a joke, hope I don't catch a stick in it and rip it off. And the inner fender liners are so shabbily designed and made, they're just held on with some plastic crap that'll surely fall apart after a couple years.

Many years ago I owned nothing but GM products, just recently got rid of my last Ford after having them for the past 15 years. I don't recall the GM products as being this cheesy years ago, the Fords I've had weren't made nearly as chincy as this truck.

Now I gotta tell you, the ride quality and power of this truck is awesome. The engine is smooth and powerful, tranny shifts as you'd expect, and it drives and handles great. The creature comforts in the cab are much better than any of the Fords I've had and I always bought their top package. The last one was a Lariat.

If GM would spend about another $200 per truck, use some better sense on a few exterior issues, this truck would be just about perfect.

I hope this critique doesn't piss y'all off because you think all GM's are perfect, it's just my opinion of my +$50,000 truck. If yours isn't chincy, I'm happy for you. :beerchug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you have paid $200 more, at the dealer for all the changes you suggest, at the time you purchased the truck?

GM bets you wouldn't. Working in manufacturing design is a fine line between all out spec vs what the consumer will buy.

For you it may be yes on the $200 but for others the answer is only $20 more.

My $.02

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you have paid $200 more, at the dealer for all the changes you suggest, at the time you purchased the truck?
Sure, I would have gladly paid an extra $200 for better quality. :stirthepo

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly that parts of these trucks are cheaply made. Unfortunately, more and more parts are cheaply made. At least the sheet metal is still fairly thick. The sheet metal on my company truck ('04 Furd F-150) is soooooooo thin and flimsy. I can't believe they actually put in on a vehicle. I hope GM doesn't start getting cheap on the structiural integrity of these "HD" trucks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What's with the big-azz white labels on the part of the frame that shows behind my nurf bars? Can I remove the ugly things without losing something that is essential to model/type identification?

Steve

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's with the big-azz white labels on the part of the frame that shows behind my nurf bars?
Don't pull 'em off, they hold the frame together! :eek: ):h :lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
It looks like an inventory tracking label. I tried spraying one off at the car wash and yea, it came off but so did the thick goo covering the frame. I will let them wear themselves off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
put a little weight on the roof of the cab it ain't to thick there-:t

·
Registered
826 Posts

CCs with the ribs have fairly strong roof

EC roofs are crazy thin, you have to be careful washing them.

On a windy day with the drivers window down the EC roof in my old truck would make a booming sound like a big bass drum.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't entirely blame GM. They are doing their best to comply with ridiculous CAFE standards imposed by tree hugging bureaucrats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
costs are rising

I have some experience in design and manufacturing Charman is exactly right. The engineers can design the perfect truck but it would cost GM too much to build.

The reality is when you add all things together including dealer margine, interest cost on inventory, general over head (plants, offices, tooling, etc.), labor, benefits, taxes, insurance (liability, etc.), R and D, etc. there is very little left to put into to steel, and plastic, that makes the actual truck.

If it does not improve or maintain the functionality or safety it is going to be cut. All the other costs are rising, input materials is the only one that the manufacture has control over. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree the trucks have some very flimsy sheet metal. I would not dare sit on the hood. In the old days you could sit on the hood of any vehicle and not damage it. I also understand that they (GM) have a budget and have to save money where they can in building these trucks. BUT, one has to ask himself and I wish I knew, exactly how much does it truly cost to make one of these trucks? I could be way off here but I am guessing that the profit margin for the manufacturer is staggering. If they were to cut just a little bit off of the profit they may be able to sturdy up the sheet metal. I have been to the Doraville GM plant in Georgia. I personally know some people that work on the assembly line and guys let me tell you something, I watched as some parts were coming down the assembly line and an employee would take a hammer and a metal stamp then tap twice on the part with the stamp in order to get the number on the part, then the employee picks up a magazine and reads it for a bit waiting on the next part to come by on the assembly line. This employee at that time made approximately 19.00 per hour, that was over 16 years ago. Now I'm happy for the employees but my whole point of this is that some cost could be reconfigured into a little bit sturdier sheet metal. I certainly don't mean to ruffle any feathers out there but if GM is paying this to people working on the line I can only imagine what they are paying the big boys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts