Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a bunch of work on the truck this past weekend-new water pump, Vacuum pump, new hoses, flushed out radiator. Anyhow after buttoning everything back up the truck wouldn't turn over....just the click, click, click. Right when I was really about to get agrivated I bumped the steering wheel and the truck started right up. I didn't worry much about until it happend a couple of days ago again. Other than that the truck is running great....better than in years. Just a bit ago it has happened again except now I can't get the truck to turn over. I'm stuck!!

Any idea what this could be?

Batteries, cables, grounds are good.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Ign switch............

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
What kinda "click-click-click-click" is it? Does it sound like a relay clicking? Or, is it louder like a bendix gear binding against something? Actually, now that I think about it, if this is on your '95 6.5T, the starter doesn't have a bendix gear.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gmctd;1592790; said:
Ign switch............
How hard to replace? What kind of tools do I need...I'm stuck at work. Is that a dealer part?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Have to drop and seperate the plastic shroud, at least, and dealer only - think there are pics, somewhere here, so do a Search

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gmctd;1592817; said:
Have to drop and seperate the plastic shroud, at least, and dealer only - think there are pics, somewhere here, so do a Search
I just did a quick call to advance auto...they claim to have one. Could they?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Sugg - get the aftermarket version, take to the dealer and compare contact sizing and plastic insulator dimensions.

And brand - sometimes the autoparts emporuims offer the same brand - NAPA does - for less, mostly a cheaper version, tho

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gmctd;1592886; said:
Sugg - get the aftermarket version, take to the dealer and compare contact sizing and plastic insulator dimensions.

And brand - sometimes the autoparts emporuims offer the same brand - NAPA does - for less, mostly a cheaper version, tho

Thanks a bunch for the quick help!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone post up a quick step by step to change out the ignition switch in a 95 suburban? I don't have a manual with me and I hate to create new projects.

Anything to be careful of? Do i need disconnect the neg battery terminals?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update this thread and for humor...This problem turned out to be the fricking battery cable not being tight enough.(positive passenger) I just didn't double check them since I had just put them back on and tightened down from work I did that past weekend. All in all it cost me $400 that I didn't need to spend.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Hang on to the original switch, then.................

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what was the $400 dollars all about?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Scrufdog;1608379; said:
what was the $400 dollars all about?
Well...I just about goofed everyway possble on this one. While taking off the original switch I got tired of fighting that top plastic piece that covers the steering column so I snipped those two little wires that run from the switch to the key tumbler making my old switch useless. I'm still scratching my head that I actually snipped those wires. So now I have to eat the new switch that I didn't need.(out $175) After installing the new switch and hearing that click,click,click...I'd had enough for the day so I called our local guru and stood there in bewilderment as he tightened my battery cables and the truck started right up and proclaimed this is why he gets the big bucks!! I had to hear that. $98 for towing and his time. The rest is my time out of work and running around. Pretty much a sucky truck day.

I guess the good news is I gotta new switch and it works...looks like a tough one too!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts