Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my patience with this cold weather up here is starting to grow old.:mad: It was -31 this morning. I don't know if anybody remembers but last week I had problems with a my truck not wanting to accelerate, took it in and found out the Nicktane filter was plugged. I had just replaced the Nicktane filter a week before.

Yesterday I spent all day trying to get my truck running and in the meantime discovered that my block heater is not working which is why it would not even crank yesterday morning. Put it in the warm shop and it was running 2 hours later no problems. Left it idle for about 1hr so the batteries could charge and then drove to town to a buddies for the Super Bowl. Started it up at half time, it idled for 25 mins. Then started it and let it run before I left again. Hopped in the truck, backed out of the driveway and stepped on it and it died. Would idle but would not do anything more.

I did notice that the dealer did not have the Nicktane filter tight at all, I could easily remove by hand. Think it could be sucking air or do you think that the Nicktane is clogged again? They did replace the factory filter with the new style factory filter as well while it was in the shop. If the Nicktane is clogged again, is it do to freezing? Can I put any sort of heater on it? I run P40 blend and run 1/8 gallon PS per tank as well. Gelling seems to be a non-issue for the most part for most around here but for some reason my truck is giving me a ton of problems.

Will be towing it back home tonight to the shop where it is warm and trying to diagnose what is wrong. I am way confused at this point though...

Pretty soon I am going to have to go through the hassle of removing the Nicktane so that the local dealers can quit blaming it for the freezing up.

One thing, I did run 2 tanks of B20 blend early this summer but that should be long gone as well as the filter clogging associated with it.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Curtis

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sure sounds like you have bad fuel. Did you fill up at a new station? Usually when you have no power and it is that cold it means jelly..... But it Could be that you have algae or crap in general in your tank from a bad load of fuel. Did you cut open your last fuel filter to check for foreign material? Maybe that Nictane filer is causing issues in that cold climate?? just a thought

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, haven't cut it open yet. Got it at home in the shop. Will do tonight to see what it looks like. I always fill up at the same station here, biggest one in town and also the one where all the truckers fill up.

Curtis

·
Registered
787 Posts
What kind of fuel are you running. I talked to stanadyne last week and they said that basically if you want protection ot -30 degrees with the new ulsd you have to double you dose of additive. Seems about the same with the all the other additives. You nicktane filter does not have a heated head so it very well could be the filter gelling up. If it runs but won't do much more than idle sure sounds like its gelling up. The cold filter plug point is a much higher temp point than the pour point of the fuel. It is -22 here today and was worried because I am not blended that well. I think for -30 and below I am going to go with straight number 1 with a lube additive. From what I understand #1 cfpp is at -50 f and #2 is at about +20 f. If you use the regular dose of additive you are only protected to -20 f. Doesn't matter on the oem filter because there is a heater but you nicktane doesn't.

·
Registered
787 Posts
curtisb;1573215; said:
Nope, haven't cut it open yet. Got it at home in the shop. Will do tonight to see what it looks like. I always fill up at the same station here, biggest one in town and also the one where all the truckers fill up.

Curtis
Most truckers have tank heaters if they are running that cold. Also take filter heaters into consideration. The otherthing is that if you have a second filter without a lift pump you are causing even more issues with the filter plugging. I would say warm it up in a shop, mix it fairly heavy on a additive like howes, stanadyne etc (if you use the right one it will only help and not hurt to overdose) and see what happens. There may be some wax left from the b20 but doubtful. What is the p40 fuel?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It sounds like it is gelled up, you did not mention if you were using any type of additive in the fuel, are you using anything? In colder weather you should be putting something in the tank to help prevent the fuel from gelling up, because winter blend is usually only good to 25 to 30 below. I use stanadyne and have not had an issue with gelling. Hope this helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P40 is what the fuel stations call the blend that is suppose to be good down to -40. I don't know that I believe that one bit and I am currently running about 1/4 gallon of PowerService per fuel fill which I think a gallon of PowerService is good for 300 gallons. So I am running it at a plenty high dose.

The PowerService jug says for added protection to run it at 150 gallons per gallon, I am currently at about 100 gallons per gallon of PowerService.

I personally think that the Nicktane is the problem as well and am thinking about removing it. The factory filter is not clogging at all. Anybody know of a heater I can put on the Nicktane? Or any other ideas?

Thanks.
Curtis

·
Registered
787 Posts
I used the power service and had 20 gallons mixed at over 2x the rate and gelled up at -17. I don't think you are any where protected enough for the cold weather, especially with the ps (i don't have any faith in them anymore) The problem is that you have such a long draw from the cp3 that you just cant get it done if your filter is starting to gel up. I would 1st consider putting a lift pump in. Call stanadyne - they have heated filter heads, talk to them about their additives, they were very informative to me and what you are talking about is what she said was causing everyone in their office to be busy on the phone over the last couple of weeks. Find out who has stanadyne in your area, fill her up with straight #1 with a lub additive and your problems will go away. There is 2 numbers you have to look at, one being the pour point and the other is the cfpp. Your pour point is probably ok but the cfpp is not. Also remember that every time you gel it up you are taking life away from your cp3. They use to make a filter sock that was 12v or 110 ac. Don't know if you can get them anymore. One thing also would be to look at vacume on your fuel line. Maybe the cp3 is gone already and doesn't have enough draw.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I think the cp3 is fine. When it was in the dealer last week the vacuum was over 20, not sure how measured, and then when they replaced the Nicktane filter it was fine only about 5-6 I think is what they said and GM recommends no more than 10. I am sure that it is now over 20 again since it won't run at all again.

Crap, I guess it is either get rid of the Nicktane or deal with it and at least add more additive to the tank. I used to run FPPF but all those products are so hard to come by around here. Power Service is the easiest to find. I will have to take a look for Stanadyne.

Once again, thanks everybody.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
According to the owner at my local BP there is no such thing as #1 only 1 grade of ULSD. There is additive added in the pipeline he says but I have been dosing w howes just to be safe. Cheap insurance if there really is no such thing as 50/50 blend any longer. Also make sure your additive displaces water.

·
Registered
787 Posts
pmeg1;1573592; said:
According to the owner at my local BP there is no such thing as #1 only 1 grade of ULSD. There is additive added in the pipeline he says but I have been dosing w howes just to be safe. Cheap insurance if there really is no such thing as 50/50 blend any longer. Also make sure your additive displaces water.[/quote

I would have to disagree, there is number 1 also. We can buy it here. A guy can get straight #2, #1 or artic. Most stations if you want a blend you blend it yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
curtisb, my 2004 has the same problem, there is no way it's gelling. I drove 100 miles the day before when it was -15. and now today. no go just idle.

what is this Nicktane filter? and where is it at?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Nicktane Filter is an auxillary fuel filter kit which you can install. If you have not installed it then no need to worry about it. Basically it is a huge Cat filter you install just forward of the drivers side rear wheel.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
winter200;1574378; said:
pmeg1;1573592; said:
According to the owner at my local BP there is no such thing as #1 only 1 grade of ULSD. There is additive added in the pipeline he says but I have been dosing w howes just to be safe. Cheap insurance if there really is no such thing as 50/50 blend any longer. Also make sure your additive displaces water.[/quote

I would have to disagree, there is number 1 also. We can buy it here. A guy can get straight #2, #1 or artic. Most stations if you want a blend you blend it yourself.
This station owner used to have a 50/50 blend(last year). I assume he knows what he is talking about, he has been in business for years. Maybe it is just available in extreme cold regions?? I have been told that by several people around here as there has been quite a bit gelling, but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
787 Posts
According to a report that I heard, the producers weren't expecting this cold of weather. Because of the high price to make the new ulsd, they are skimping on the additive which helps the cfpp and the pour point. It is also the same with lube additive. From what I understand this source is also doing their own testing on the fuel. When they were asked why, they said that the consumer wouldn't want to pay the high price. Take if for what its worth but for me I am running stanadyne now, using 2 one shot's to protect my system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diesel is rated in D1-D6 when you hear of the cut fuel. The refineries cut D1 with D2, in my area they are producing the artic blend of 60% D1 to 40% D2. You may want to also want to add additional D1 or K1 but make sure you add enough additive to protect you engine.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
winter200;1575152; said:
According to a report that I heard, the producers weren't expecting this cold of weather. Because of the high price to make the new ulsd, they are skimping on the additive which helps the cfpp and the pour point. It is also the same with lube additive. From what I understand this source is also doing their own testing on the fuel. When they were asked why, they said that the consumer wouldn't want to pay the high price. Take if for what its worth but for me I am running stanadyne now, using 2 one shot's to protect my system.

I think that must be the case. I have been running the Nictane filter for 3-4 years and only had one problem before. This year ---- Yikes! I agree that they are not adding enough stuff to keep it from gelling. I just had to change out both filters again. Waxed up bad. Had the recommended dose of PS in the tank too. Limped to the station and added a quart to 16 gal of diesel to fill. Still barely made it home.
jb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts