Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i am hooked to my fifth wheel i like to fill up at truck stop's along side the BIG boy's. Only one problem the big nozzle will not work,any idea's? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Easy fix, Coach. Transfer Flow has a fill-neck "quick fill" kit. Replaces the stock fill neck with a larger neck to accept the larger nozzles. Easy install...only drawback is the $126.95 (plus about $10 shipping.)

http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

OOPS! Sorry Eric, didn't notice where I was.Edited by: jbh2000

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've filled up with the large fuel nozzles on numerous occassions.. The fuel filler is pretty big on my truck, not sure how big they are on pre-03 duramaxes. You can't give it full pressure though, only about half way, which is still plenty faster than a regular pump.

Now if I could just find a way to use those things without getting my hands all stinky!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Transfer Flow fill is bettrer than stock but still not very good for the large nozzles. I can only run it at the first click on the automatic setting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I fill up at the big truck fuel stations and the only thing I have to do is fill it up "SLOW". The nozzle won't go in all the way, but if you hold it and just put the fuel in slow it will work. Doesn't really take any longer than with the small fuel nozzles, the only draw back is, you have to stand there and hold the big nozzle all the time you are putting fuel in your truck. Sure beats the $126.00 + $10.00 shipping for the Transfer Flow neck.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I've read Posts before about Guy's with the Transfer Flow Fast-Fill Fillnecks connected to their OEM Tanks, and having problems filling fuel with the larger truck stop diesel fill nozzles. I've adjusted my Fast-fill four times, and it FINALLY works properly. I own a 2002 Long Box, X-cab pickup with the 34 gallon OEM tank. Each adjustment took time, waiting for the tank level to drop near empty. Here's what I found.
I heard of others with problems filling with the large nozzle with this Fast-fill Conversion before I installed mine, so I thought I'd be careful following the instructions, and get it right the first time. No luck. I was careful ensuring proper fill and vent hose angels, with no kinks, and with the first fill attempt, I couldn't even fill with the SMALL nozzle 2/3 open.
First adjustment, I thought maybe the "Inline fill tube with vent tube" was not at the 3 o'clock position, allowing fuel to block vent tubing, so I adjust this tube up slightly, with no luck. Second, I stretched the fill and vent hose tighter, to try to get more angle on them and it still wouldn't fill at 2/3 open with small nozzle, or 1/3 open with the large nozzle was difficult. Third, I rotated the replacement fill neck 120 degrees counterclockwise, to place the vent tube near the 11 o'clock position, trying to get more vent hose angle, and it still wouldn't fill properly, and spit out fuel.
With each of these fill attempts, the fuel tank was only about 1/4 full, so I was sure the vent hose was not submerged in fuel, blocking the vent path. I concluded the fuel flowing in the fill hose must be flowing over the vent tube, blocking the vent path.
My forth adjustment, I removed the "Inline fill tube with vent tube" from the tank for inspection. It appeared the Teleflex Vent Hose slid up the metal tubing about 4-6 inches. This was probably allowing the flowing fuel to cover this vent tubing when filling and blocking the tank vent path.
I noticed while installing the vent tube into the OEM tank, I had to bend the vent tubing while inserting it into the tank, because a support for the box was in the way, and this would cause the Teleflex tube to get caught in the tank connection. When initially installed, the vent hose may have been pushed up the metal vent tube, shortening the overall vent tube length, causing loss of vent problem. I pulled the Teleflex Vent Hose of the metal tube about 4-6 inches, until it stopped. I then carefully inserted the vent hose into the tank, and reassembled all hoses.
On this fill attempt, I could fill with the large nozzle wide open, with no problems, no spitting fuel. As far as saving time, the time saved may only be about one minute when filling, but now I can fill with any nozzle. The flow rates were as follows:

Stock Fuel Fill Tube to OEM Tank ------------------ 13.5 GPM
Transfer Flow Fast-Fill Fillneck To OEM Tank --- 18.5 GPM

Hopefully this may help others with filling problems. That shouldn't have taken four adjustments, but it's working great now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
jgriffin187.............nice advice, always a better (cheeper) way to do things.!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
jgriffin187:

Maybe it'll be obvious when I try it but, can you expand on the part about "and use a pipe to pop out the piece that doesn't allow the big nozzles to fit. "

Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, its one of those things thats hard to explain, but will make sense when you look at it. I'll try and do my best.....

Take out the 3 screws by the fill neck (or whatever its called). Go under the truck and disconnect the big rubber hose from the neck. Inside the big rubber hose is a smaller one....I yanked that one out too so that the fuel is only using the big hose.

Next take the fill neck into your garage.....I put it in a vise and looked around the shop for something that was just barely smaller than the neck.....I found a pipe. Then I stuck the pipe into the neck and just kept pressing it into the neck.....you'll see the piece that needs to pop out.....and eventually it'll just pop off. Put it back together and you're all set. Just be careful when you fill up.....it'll take you a few times to get used to it....I took a diesel bath the first time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That does away with the tank vent. How do you avoid getting a diesel bath everytime??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Look for a pump at the Truck Stop that has a low flow nozzle. There is usually at least one pump (island) that has them.
Have a nice day!Edited by: joheath

·
Registered
71 Posts
You get pretty good and knowing when to slow down. If I'm at a half tank, I know to slow down and take a peek at $20 etc......

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’d like an opinion on this. I have an aux tank that was originally tied into the fuel lines and the truck could run off either the factory or aux tank via a switch. The solenoid failed on me, created a mess, and I made a road side mod to feed the factory tank from the aux tank via the return line. I now only run on the factory tank. I want to change this setup. I plan on building a tee and put in the filler neck, like transfer flow has done with their aux tank.. I also have in mine to pull the vent tube out of the filler neck. Now if I do this, and provided I fill the factory tank first, and provided I had the valve from aux to factory tank open, will the open line to the aux tank allow the proper venting on fillups?

·
Registered
340 Posts
coach,

I made a PVC pipe adapter for mine that works pretty good. The trk nozzle fits in the big end & the small end opens the trap door in the fill neck. It is made of the following pieces

1>>1 1/4" thinwall pvc pipe 2 1/2" long

2>>3/4" '' '' '' 5" ''

3>>1 1/4" coupler

4>> 3/4" to 1 1/4" bushing

Glue the coupler to the bushing & glue the appropriate pipe to each end

1 - 16 of 16 Posts