Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck Problem

'96 GMC 3/4 Tonne 6.5L Diesel

Two nights ago my brother drove it to colledge and when he left he got a click click click when he tried to start it, like the battery was dead, he put it in neutral(automatic) and it started fine.

Today its doing the same thing but neutral wont start either, it takes forever to glow and the lights are really dim.

Update: I boosted one of the batteries this morning and it started fine, and I turned off, waited 10 minutes and it started again. I didnt have enough fuel to leave it running so I turned it off and went for money. Now it has the same click click click.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
hmmm;My guess is that either you have to clean or tighten battrey terminals or need a new set of batteries. I have changed my batteries every 3 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what they told me on pickuptrucks.com

Well that or a ground.

Should this be in the Tech forum?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Location McVeighr okay I'll bite where is that
, from spelling of ton as tonne and boosting the battery (most often I hear is jumped but that could be Southern US regional as well) I'd suspect somewhere in the EU or Canada.

If it's a 6.5 problem this is a good place to list it, GM battery connections are notoriously bad many self included remove std GM batt stud and replace with a piece of all thread into the battery fitting and then double nut and washer the cable to the battery connection.

Check your batts, if still good then try this mod it helps with better current flow, also make sure left to right batt cable "sandwich joint" is clean.

GM grounding is also poor I took a double end ring lug 2 gauge battery cable, connected 1 end to the frame, and the other to the alternator mount support stud this assures 100% engine to frame ground and also out in open so I can keep it cleaned up.

GM's is way at the back of the engine and hard to see if broken or dirty, had it happen on my 90 GMC gasser, poor charging due to bad ground.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I have this problem alot.

This morning I was getting fuel and click, click, click

and this is after starting half a dozen times. I bought a hot coke and happend to find an old toothbrush. I get corrosion build-up on the pos. of both batteries, but usually just clean the post on the left where both pos. come togather. I saw pitting and I am going to get a new battery bolt, just as soon as I get around to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, and nice call Doc, eastren Canada.

It was the connection from the alternator to the batteries, corroded, so it was running everything fine but it wouldn't charge them.

Probably seems obvious to you but I don't know much about trucks/cars and am just trying to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts