Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 01 lb7 with everything stock past few mornings i have had to prime the truck. go out to it, turn the key on, everything cycles, then cranks. the truck starts for about 5 sec, then dies. pop the hood, prime the filter, go back, cycle key, waity to start, cranks longer, then fires and runs fine till she sits. i do not notice any fuel smell or a leak anywhere. this has happened before, but once once in a blue moon. now it's been every day since friday. any guesses? i did a search on losing prime and the results were not what i was looking for.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Have you changed anything in the fuel system lately like the filter? I would ensure that your fuel filter is tight and not seeping air for starters.

Your in a pretty cold climate perhaps cold contraction allowing in air when sitting overnight causing a air pocket

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although I live in a much warmer climate, having same problem. After several visits to the dealer still unresolved. Plan another visit to the dealer tech later this week.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothin has been done to the fuel system since the last filter change when the dealer did it for the recall around 4 months ago. been slackin on my maintaince. just too damn poor. and fixing the brakes and steering stuff.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If the symptoms started AFTER the filter install I would go put a band wrench on it and snug it up

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Also the primers are known to give trouble. Might have to place the filter head.

Make sure your bleeder screw is tight as well but don't strip it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A friend of mine had the same trouble and it was the water in fuel sensor was leaking a little bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been seeing a few fuel pressure regulators that have caused this concern. I have been able to tap them and re-prime the fuel system (I have the gauge to check the supply side) to make sure that it holds prime..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I second the injector theory. Mine did the same. After injectors it was fine. I was told some of the injectors had cracked which was allowing the fuel to seep back to the tank and create the aforementioned air pockets.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think there is a bulletin on the fuel filter housing being cracked, so it lets air in. I cannot access any of the bulletins, but I believe someone on this site can. my dealer is going to change my housing when the truck goes in for injectors this week. good luck. Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine did this years ago when pretty new, turned out to be the filter housing. I don't remember exactly what was wrong, but they had to replace the entire housing. Never happened again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:help2: now whats odd is that i filled up last night and it started fine this morning.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Mine was doing this after I had installed the bleeder screw. Ended up that is would suck air in threw the bleed screw over night. Put he plastic screw back in and fixed it. Spray some windex around the bleeder screw when it is not running and see if it starts bubbling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts