Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hauling north this weekend into the white mountains a two place enclosed stand up snowmobile trailer. About 20 feet long by 8.5 wide and about 9 or so feet tall v-nose.. I was getting 9.5mpg figure it was just a strong head wind.. Well this morning I fired up the truck and it started and idled fine. Took off and got about 20 miles and the motor shut down again and would not go over 1800 rpms.. Same thing happend two weeks ago and they said it was a plugged fuel filter... Well I knewn this time it couldn't be as I have put less than a 1,000 miles on this new one and only bought diesel at large truck stops.. Put in heavy amounts of power service too.. 16oz to a full tank. No way in hell this thing was Gelling but headed back to my cottage to wait to a auto parts store opened. Fired the truck up about 2 hours later to head to the store and the truck ran fine right up the RPM range engine light was still on thou.. Figured it would clear itself.. Got some diesel 911 and dumped that in.. First big hill I hit the motor fell on its face 1,800 RPMs and nothing more. Shut it down and waited a few mins and the truck was back to normal.. WTF Stopped into dealer up there and they ran diag on the truck and said its a pressure relief vavle sticking????? Sending to much fuel back to the tank.. And this is a common problem on the trucks.. HELP!!! I am at witts end with this truck I have blow two weekends of snowmobiling and with the lack of snow in the Northeast so this is big!!!

In the end I draged the trailer back to my cottage dropped it and drove the 2.5 hours home after they reset the engine code and it ran fine. Does not seem to have all the power it should but runs ok.. What a waste of a three day weekend.... Going to drop the truck off at the dealer down here tomorrow night for monday. One up in the mountains didn't have the part and couldn't get it till tuesday.. Suppose to be a new design of the part or something..

Sorry about the long story... Just very ticked off at the truck.. :help:

To top it off I am suppose to take this truck from Maine to FL at the end of next month with my brother.. He is to worried to take it and wants to take his Yukon Dienal towing the 25 foot TT.. Uggggggg... Mine tows much better when the motor is running right...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have a clue if this info is right from the dealer?????

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Try posting this question in the Tech section. Should get an answer there.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try posting this question in the Tech section. Should get an answer there.

Looks like they closed down the tech section.. Says no new threads..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it threw a code on the way to the dealer again.. No power.... If they can't fix this by Wensday I am in trouble... Need the truck thursday night for another try at a snowmobile weekend.. My last shot at one this season.. I have lost so much dam money cause this truck is busted and trashed two weekends of 3 days or more of riding...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the FRP regulator hanging open. Can't think of anything else that would right itself buy shutting the truck down. Seems that when you shut the engine down and Fuel Rail Pressure falls it allows a reseat.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Not sure if there was or wasn't a redesign on the FRPRV. Hopefully an easy fix.

FWIW, all the guys I know that sled haven't had a great season at all. Late freeze hasn't helped a lot of the rivers in NW Maine. Let alone the lack of snow. I haven't seen 1/4 of the usual sled traffic up in Bethel, ME. Brand new bridge over the Androscoggin, and no snow on either side...

Best of luck getting the truck fixed. Like a bear said, sounds like the dealer got it diagnosed properly. Perhaps just the extra load of the trailer/sleds was causing it to pop.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the cold was causing it to pop.. Cause it happend tonight on the way to the dealer and it was 11 degrees.. They said it was some regulator and that GM was working on the problem and it was common for the trucks... Also thought there was a new part was out..

·
Registered
11 Posts
FWIW, all the guys I know that sled haven't had a great season at all. Late freeze hasn't helped a lot of the rivers in NW Maine. Let alone the lack of snow. I haven't seen 1/4 of the usual sled traffic up in Bethel, ME. quote]

Sleddin in Colorado this year has rocked!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now the another dealer has told me just about everything under the sun..
1) Wax in the tank from when they make the tanks they put a wax on them keep them from rusting before they are put into use.. The wax is breaking down and getting into the fuel system.. WTF
2) Water in the fuel
3) Frozen fuel filter - Been cold but dam the truck shouldn't even start if this is true..
4) Bad fuel - Which they are doing some test now that takes over night to run... Got me...

Don't get how it could be water in the fuel.. Run PowerService in the truck all the time.. White bottle plus Diesel 911 and the water in fuel light never came on.
Bad Fuel does not make to much sense either as I buy from a Truck stop here in portsmouth NH.. Don't you think you would see all the dump trucks and 18 wheelers breaking down.

Don't get any of this as the truck will be fine till you get into it sometimes and then she shuts down.. Stop the truck shut it off for a few mins fire it back and she runs fine..

They claim to have test the engine out and everything is fine. Fuel pressure is right and stuff... Just does not make sense to me..

This thing is turing out worse than my 2002 6.0L gas lemon...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
1) Wax in the tank from when they make the tanks they put a wax on them keep them from rusting before they are put into use.. The wax is breaking down and getting into the fuel system.. WTF
Time for a new dealer..... the tanks are plastic so he's an idiot right off the bat.

2) Water in the fuel
And where's the WIF light then..

3) Frozen fuel filter - Been cold but dam the truck shouldn't even start if this is true..
If it's really cold then the filter could start to gel, which would allow the truck to start and run at lower rpm's but not have any real power. But stopping the engine and restarting would not fix this problem.

4) Bad fuel - Which they are doing some test now that takes over night to run... Got me...
Possible but like you said not likely.

They claim to have test the engine out and everything is fine. Fuel pressure is right and stuff... Just does not make sense to me..
Take the truck back, make it limp like you were describing and then drive it straight to the dealer and take the service manager for a ride to show him what it's doing.

This thing is turing out worse than my 2002 6.0L gas lemon...
Nothing is worse than a gasser.):h
What was the code number that the truck was throwing ?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
p0087

Talked to the first dealer they said there is PI on this...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've only gelled one vehicle, ever. ANd it just went from go to gradual no go. Not sure how the Duramax fuel filter responds to gelling. If partially gelled, might allow enough fuel for average running, but dies when you get into it? I don't know.

Doesn't seem like a lemon issue. Just need a competent mechanic to get on it, by the sounds of it...

Ty

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its really weird.. The error code is for fuel rail pressure issue.. Hmmm.. wonder how bad diesel does that..

Just need this thing running right for this weekend and my trip to FL at the end of March..

·
Registered
144 Posts
never heard of them waxing a plastic tank before? Diesel contains oil, which will prevent rust in a metal tank. But these trucks now a days come with plastic tanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got me.. Given the run around on this one.. Should hear tomorrow am on the out come of the test of the diesel fuel.. Third time this truck has been in for this problem.. First time they replaced the fuel filter saying that was bad..

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Definitely sounds fuel related and seems like something simple. Pressure has to be leaking or not coming up in the 1st place. If not the FRP regulator, return rates or fuel condition have them check the 4-pushlok fuel connectors coming from the tank. The only thing that prevents air ingestion with these is one small o-ring and leaks would be nearly impossible to detect due to the vac service. It may be possible that one is ingesting air as vac increases. (Under load) The OEM fuel system by design can process a lot of pressure and power robbing air if not sent in a big slug. In doing so it will often continue to run but power will be down.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Look them in the eye and tell them to repeat that! Better yet, have them write it down.

Why the $#@! would they wax the inside of a PLASTIC fuel tank to keep it from rusting?

On edit - I see that several others jumped on this issue before I did. :ro)
I still can't beleive the dealer would step in it like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At -10 and below up here in Wisconsin,my truck throws a 1093 code everytime.It never happens if its warmer..0 and above. The dealer says its normal and its a fuel problem.Last code re-set trip to the dealer,I was the 6th Duramax in line for the code re-set.I went to Autozone and bought a Actron code reader so if it happens anymore,I dont have to deal with it for more than a few minutes....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Snow dog, is the fuel sold not winter DIESEL? I have a new LBZ last week it went into limp mode, would go past 2nd gear or 1800 rpm, turned out to be electrical connection to map sensor. Happened again this week , went to manuel shift and it up shifted and ran, check engine light stayed on ,then it cleared on its own! I have 02 LB7,06 LBZ Dmax and just sold 04.5 LLY and have 200,000 miles combined, and have not had WIF, or gealed fuel ever. I'm in Alberta Canada and it can get - 40. I hope you get it fixed right!

Not all dealers and mechanics are created equal! find a good one!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts