Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i left my 97 parked outside for 2 weeks while out at work, it hit -30 yesterday and today and it wasnt plugged in, went to start the truck slow cranking, tried to boost the truck cranked faster but still not firring. pushed to a plug in stall have had it plugged in now for about 5-6 hours still wont start. all fuses are good, lift pump is working and good fuel coming out of brass t drain fitting. tring to crank while boosting and now my interior lights are flickering when attempting to start the truck. i have a astrostart command start and when i tried to use it the lights all came on and then died no crank attempt. if anyone is near, im in nisku's airways inn AB

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
2 thoughts:
1. Batteries have died from the cold
2. Coolant froze, locking up the waterpump interfering with engine cranking

Hopefully its just #1. Since you have fuel flowing, it doesn't seem to have gelled. With the heater I would think problem 2 would not be the issue. Have you tried getting a jump start?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm in edmonton but I'm so swamped I cant move (both my trucks are in my garage torn apart). Is your block heater working? can you hear it sizzleing??
Also sometimes the motel power outlets are on timers or don't even work at all

My friends truck whoes I'm using while mine is down, started this morning and it was -29C NOT plugged in!! (his is for sale as well).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
ON a positive note it is susposed to warm up to -12C tomorrow

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
ON a positive note it is susposed to warm up to -12C tomorrow
We're getting your cold front - our HIGH tomorrow is supposed to be -20C

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the batteries die from the cold wont boosting help/still start the truck or will the power just go to trying to recharge the dead ones? these batts were in her when i bought the truck last fall but they are stamped jan 05 for sale date both 850CCA, ama wont help me either till tomorrow glad im a premiuim member Censored. thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any thought on the comand start causing no start over a failure within its comp? normally if i dont dissarm my truck all lights will come on but will not let the engine crank over with the key in start posistion, i believe the alarm setup is intragrated into the comand start unit

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check the resistance in your cables. They may be corroded and not giving you enough amps to fully crank the engine over. I had a similar problem last year and that was the prob. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Once the entire engine is cold to the core it will take 8 or 10 hours to get it warm enough and even at that you'll be lucky to get it to go. It was -25C here yesterday morning and the Blazer fired right up NOT plugged in, 0:30 Full synthetic in the crank case. Once you get it running go synthetic or use a pan heater, regular 15:40 really slows down the cranking.

I have started my trucks on either before but much care must be taken, either must be at room temperature so you can just mist it into the intake, if its cold and your only squirting it like WD-40 then you'll just either lock it and it will crank even slower. If i were closer i'd get you going. When boosting in cold weather i'd use to sets of cables from 2 battery's, never not been able to get someone started, boosted many 671's & 871's, series 50's & 60's engines in the cold.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Faust, call me I'll pm ya my cell number I'm going to be close to the south side of the city, today

1 - 10 of 10 Posts