Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what is going on here. There seems to be a problem with my shift lever. The shift lever is all loose..you can move it around a lot without switching gears and the display won't underline the current selected gear like it usually does. It will not shift into reverse sometimes and I get Range shift inhibited on the DIC. I checked the shift cable to make sure it's mounted on the transmission properly and it looks ok. I'm posting this on the OEM section even though I have a Stage IV because I'm thinking it's a problem up in the steering column or the shift cable or something. My truck is out of warranty too. -:t It's almost like the cable is stretched or wearing out or something....

Anybody have any idea what's going on with my shifter?:help2:

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
With the engine off and parking brake on, have someone wiggle shifter while you crawl underneath and see what is or is not moving at the trans.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be right back...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, it's not the transmission. The cable is wiggling when you wiggle the shifter, but the cable shouldn't be able to move at all without switching gears, right?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
set code 700 tonight, too. I think that the shifter cable may be coming loose in the shift cable bracket under the truck. Could this cause the code 700 to be set?

·
Registered
892 Posts
It could. The P0700 means a code was set in the TCM. If the shift cable is loose it's possible that's it's not aligning the NSBU correctly when you select a range. As such, you're probably setting some kind of related code in the TCM.

One thing you might want to check is the shift cable connection. There are two ends of cable that meet under the truck by the frame rail. The ends are held together by a small c-clip under a cover. If that's broke or loose it would make the whole system sloppy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just lost 4th and 5th gears. The truck thinks the shifter is in "3" when it's actually in OD. I think something's wrong inside the steering column. The truck will not underline park, R, N OD or 2 anymore. It will not unlock the doors when you put it in park like it should.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know how the steering column comes apart?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
With a big hammer :D

I know this pull Airbag fuses or it could get expensive. I wouldn't tackle this without a helms.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or could it be the NSBU switch? was that fixed by 04?

·
Registered
892 Posts
The column comes apart pretty easy. There are two screws underneath that hold the two halves of the cowl together. No need to worry about the airbag.

If the shifter feels loose it's probably not the NSBU. The fact that the PRNDL is not underlining is more likely due to the shift cable not orientating the NSBU correctly.

My guess is that the cable has worn out and needs to be replaced. If you’re mechanically inclined it’s not too difficult to remove. However, adjusting the backlash between the two halves of the shift cable can be tricky.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My shift cable broke at a plstic part under the truck close to the transmission. where the cable is attached to the frame rail. it did the same thing you are talking about. i was able to rig it with a hose clamp until i got a new shift cable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed it...I actually had two problems. The shifter cable bracket was slightly loose where it bolts to the transmission, and this was causing the shifter to feel loose. I must not have tightened the bolts up enough when I did my stage IV. The other problem was that the NSBU switch was bad. The dealer replaced that under warranty for me (100 dollar deductable) and she was good to go. I would have replaced the switch myself, but they wanted $175 for it, so it saved me 75 bucks to just let them do it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help, Mike. I just wasn't sure about the 1 or 2 plug deal. I knew the truck had a two on it, but a bunch of guys said it needed a 1.

It was nice talking Mustangs with you. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts