Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home.. Had to watch my truck leave on the back of a tow truck!

My fuel was getting low but the light hadn't come on yet and the DIC said I was good for 45 miles. I've found the gauge pretty accurate so far. Accellerating to 50mph the truck bogged while going through 4th gear, then about 10 seconds later died. I coasted it in neutral to a side road, I figured my fuel gauge was screwed and I ran out of fuel. I turned the engine over to be sure and it fired up, then stalled a couple seconds later. Tried it again and it wouldn't fire.

My buddy came by and we went and got 2 gallons of diesel at the gas station, came back and dumped it in.. Still no go on the starting. I backed out the bleeder screw and got sprayed with diesel.. Hmm.. pumped the primer a few times, got diesel everywhere, screwed the bleeder back in and tried again. Still no go, it didn't even sputter, just turned over and over and over with no luck.

I know I didn't run out of fuel now. The gas light didn't come on, even after turning the ignition on after it stalled. Adding two gallons brought it half way up to the 1/4 mark. I can hear the fuel pump working under the hood when they key is turned on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
FYI - I had that issue with aux tank, it was picking up air from the tank. I pumped WITHOUT opening the bleeder screw and it started right back up. Unforunately it happen several times before I changed the tank setup.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't know what you heard under the hood when you turned on the key, but it shouldn't have been a fuel pump.

Loss of prime maybe?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't hear any fuel pump noise by the fuel tank when the ignition would get turned on, but heard a similar sound under the hood.

I primed the system following the manual's instructions and it didn't help one bit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure where the fuel pump was, which is why I was listening around for it. Thought I heard it near the engine..

·
Registered
448 Posts
The only fuel pumps on a Dmax that I know of are mechanical, They don't do anything unless the engine is turning over. So there shouldn't be any electrical pump noise unless you added one, some people are.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a call from the dealer this morning, it had indeed run out of fuel. I am baffled by this, as my fuel gauge was still above the empty line when this occurred, the light had not come on, and the DIC said I was good for 45 miles. I've driven it well into the fuel light zone before and never run out of fuel.

Apparently you have to pump the primer ~100 times to refill the system. Too bad the manual doesn't say this or I could have avoided the tow. I only pumped it half a dozen times or so.

They're putting a new sensor on for the fuel gauge.. I can't imagine why mine did this though. I don't fill to the cap, I only fill it until it clicks off. I try to never let it run down to the fuel light. I thought doing these practices might keep the fuel gauges more accurate?

The only variable I can think of is I had the 90hp Juice hooked up for a day on this tank.. Can't imagine how that would cause a problem with the fuel gauge sensor though.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Juice likely did it. The juice makes the truck think it is getting better fuel milage then it really is. This will throw the milage to empty off and perhaps even the low fuel light. I have seem my truck say that I can go another 60 miles left then put it more fuel then the capacity which means it is really empty. I have never run out though

You have to pump the primer as many times as necessary until fuel flows out the bleader.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I lways fill about a gallon after it clicks off.... My guage always reads just a little over full... i have never run it out but my DIC has said 27 miles on it before with no low fuel light... filled it up with 23.5 gallons..... Weird....

Maybe your guage stuck.... either the sender or the guage.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Camstyn

My truck is at the dealer now with 3500 miles it started then stalled and would not start after that. I have the juice as well my fuel gauge showed fuel DIC said 40 miles to go still no start. I talked to the techs working on it they said they would try putting fuel in it have not heard from them yet I feel your pain. This was 3 days ago I am having Dmax withdrawals I need my truck man.

Shaydog

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Max Power, the strange thing is, I didn't even have to pump it for fuel to come out the bleeder. As soon as I loosened it half a turn fuel squirted out, I pumped it a few times for good measure and fuel was coming out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shaydog, what's taking your dealer so long? Mine got towed in late late last night, and got the call that it was finished at 9 this morning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wish I knew I talked to them today still no word I am getting mad
but what the F can I do I think I will be talking to the service manager today if I dont here any thing.

Shaydog

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Its just as easy to drive on the top half of the tank as the bottom half. Then I got married

Now she drives her car on the top half and I drive on the bottom half
Edited by: ShumDit

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
shaydog24 said:
<font size="2">

Camstyn

My truck is at the dealer now with 3500 miles it started then stalled and would not start after that. I have the juice as well my fuel gauge showed fuel DIC said 40 miles to go still no start. I talked to the techs working on it they said they would try putting fuel in it have not heard from them yet I feel your pain. This was 3 days ago I am having Dmax withdrawals I need my truck man.

Shaydog</font>
Try six weeks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Talked to the Dmax tech again today I was pissed off because my truck has been just sitting there. They have looked at it but there is only one Dmax tech and there were 2 cars before me so I have to wait. He says it will go in tomorrow he is going to take the valve covers off to check the injectors its loosing fuel pressure and that's what they think is causing it. The bad news is injectors are on national backorder they are being built to order it will take weeks to get them in
this sucks.

Shaydog

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just had my truck towed to another dealer 15 miles down the road these jerks at my local dealership have let my truck sit for 4 days now
I have had enough. I went over there and said I was going to have it towed to another dealship and they said OK they did not even care screw them from now on it goes to the other dealship.

Shaydog

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sucks man, I hope the other dealer cares more about their customers!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts