Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I got my truck into the dealer today, after watching the check engine light stay lit for the entire week.

The dealer scanned the truck, and showed a "DTC P0181 " code, described as "Fuel temperature Sensor Performance".

The dealer called into tech support, and they mentioned that this code usually will come on if the sensor detects an issue, and the truck is run above 25 mph within 400 seconds.

Not sure what to make of this......... It was 25 degrees outside, truck plugged in, (truck outside) I had warmed my truck up (astro start) for about 5 minutes, drove over 25mph (actually 40 mph or so) for 2 miles to McDonald’s, waited at the drive through for 5 minutes, drove on a few residential streets, then out on a local highway, setting the cruise at 50 mph (after light acceleration), after 30 seconds the check engine light came on.

(Also running Edge EZ on level 1, 2005 LLY, 10,500 miles, new fuel filter, cold front on, radiator section only)

I've read on DP how folks were having trouble if they plugged their trucks in, and then started them up, where the motor saw temp differences, and set a code.

I now have one of those code recorders set up on the truck, to monitor and record snapshots of what happens on cold startups. Need to run that for a week or so now............

Any thoughts or ideas why this code was set? I've read some of the other posts on this DTC, and it sounds like GM should get some new computer programmers.

On another note, thanks everyone for posting the diagnostic code listing, as well as the link to the GM site where you can check for computer updates via your VIN #.

Had to beat the service manager over the head to get him to flash the surge / fuel filter/ intake pop updates. Told the SM that I was having surging on low rpms, excessive white smoke when cold, popping noise when cold, and couldn't see what life I had left on the fuel filter.

Ended up having to take out the GM Calibration printout for my VIN#, and show him the fixes to these problems, otherwise he wasn't even going to check..............

Thanks again !

Chevy Max! :ro)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The only answer is not to plug it in when above zero and not to use bra when above zero. I have seen this at least a dozen times and the above has worked every time for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bs

Well,

I got my truck into the dealer today, after watching the check engine light stay lit for the entire week.

The dealer scanned the truck, and showed a "DTC P0181 " code, described as "Fuel temperature Sensor Performance".

The dealer called into tech support, and they mentioned that this code usually will come on if the sensor detects an issue, and the truck is run above 25 mph within 400 seconds.

Not sure what to make of this......... It was 25 degrees outside, truck plugged in, (truck outside) I had warmed my truck up (astro start) for about 5 minutes, drove over 25mph (actually 40 mph or so) for 2 miles to McDonald?s, waited at the drive through for 5 minutes, drove on a few residential streets, then out on a local highway, setting the cruise at 50 mph (after light acceleration), after 30 seconds the check engine light came on.

(Also running Edge EZ on level 1, 2005 LLY, 10,500 miles, new fuel filter, cold front on, radiator section only)

I've read on DP how folks were having trouble if they plugged their trucks in, and then started them up, where the motor saw temp differences, and set a code.

I now have one of those code recorders set up on the truck, to monitor and record snapshots of what happens on cold startups. Need to run that for a week or so now............

Any thoughts or ideas why this code was set? I've read some of the other posts on this DTC, and it sounds like GM should get some new computer programmers.

On another note, thanks everyone for posting the diagnostic code listing, as well as the link to the GM site where you can check for computer updates via your VIN #.

Had to beat the service manager over the head to get him to flash the surge / fuel filter/ intake pop updates. Told the SM that I was having surging on low rpms, excessive white smoke when cold, popping noise when cold, and couldn't see what life I had left on the fuel filter.

Ended up having to take out the GM Calibration printout for my VIN#, and show him the fixes to these problems, otherwise he wasn't even going to check..............

Thanks again !

Chevy Max! :ro)
Ya know thats pretty frigin bad when you have to show him yur right and he is wrong, you did yur homework and he didnt, i may have walked on up and said Hi to the owner g/m and expressed a little opinion .:grd: in a nice way of course
:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only answer..

Yep, I think that you're right. Usually, this type of problem wouldn't show up in January where I live, but we've had the warmest winter in 100 years. (northern cental North Dakota). I wish Chevy would get some programmers together and take care of this issue......

I always plug my vehicles, (and tractors) in when it hits 30 above or less. Easier to start, and easier on the motors.. I run synthetic as well for this reason. Last year (2005) we had lows of 55 below, and highs of 30 below, so this goofy programming issue didn't occur.

(no, this isn't windchill factors, this is real arctic cold, windchills approach 100 below in these conditions)

Why John Deere can make a 4440 run forever without computers, and GM has software glitches, I can't answer. I love the truck, but probably need to get a code scanner that will delete these types of codes, and restore full power to the motor.

I would be the first guy in line for a John Deere pickup however......

Chevy Max

The only answer is not to plug it in when above zero and not to use bra when above zero. I have seen this at least a dozen times and the above has worked every time for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts