Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just stopped dead while going down the road. This happened 4 times in about 15 mins. and would not restart unless I waited 30+ seconds then it would run fine till the next shut down.
I stopped in at a diesel shop and they said the optical sensor in the pump was bad. I question this. What do you think? If it were optical why would it restart after 30 seconds. I would consider this a thermal problem if time resets it.
Next day I drove 100 miles towing my trailer and no sign of a problem.
Ideas appreciated since I like to travel in the fast lane and that not a good idea with a stalling truck

·
Registered
168 Posts
sounds like the IDM (injector driver module)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats assuming you have good fuel and clean filter. I've changed a few IDM's on our sqauds. Little square black box on left side of injector pump.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04duramax

I have had an FSD fail on this truck once before, but that was a complete failure not a intermitant failure. Once dead it stayed dead.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had 3 do the intermitant thing. They do make a cooler for these, but i can't remember who sells them. Something else I have found to work, is not putting the gray cover back on the top of the engine, it will help let the heat out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting comment about the gray cover. Most of us have long since removed them for one reason or another, cooling being one

I have removed mine because of the intercooler piping and because of the FSD cooler mounted to the air intake.

So far I am inclined to agree that it is the FSD but have no way to test it as a stand alone except as noted above and it has not gone into complete failure yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hope you find the problem or somebody else on here can. Thats the only thing I can predict, other than the CPS. They are about the only 2 things that will go bad, that does not set a code. Dont know if you got a check engine light or not.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Howie E,

What you are describing is classic symptom of PMD/FSD failure mine did exactly same thing at 37,000 mi just 1 month after I bought the truck stop, run, stall, and even sometimes would restart while rolling along, fortunately I was still in the window for warranty replacement 10 yr 120,00 miles hopefully you are in that window still. A PMD can be bought separately though but it's a PITA to change, mount it on a cooler once you get the new one. No codes or SES light with bad PMD, optical sensor should throw a code & iluminate SES on dash.

As for the grey turbo cover mine is hanging on the wall I may reinstall it though as CAT3406 commented in reply to my performance mods post there was some testing that shoiwed no appreciable reduction of heat with or without it to the PMD. The PMD is in a bad spot especially for post shutdown heat soak or idling in traffic and poor air flow in the engine compartment knock on wood no failres yet of PMD mounted on heat sink on fenderwell & remote harness. Some at TDP have mounted PMD in the cab under a/c vent.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
584 Posts
I vote also for PMD/FSD failing, they seem to do the intermittant most of the time. I can not under stand why they have not forced GM do a recall on these things because of the this. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS...........

·
Registered
120 Posts
you can mount the cooler in front of the driver's side battery, that's what i did and after a long drive i can reach down and feel the module, and cooler and it is just warmer than ambient.

the kit i got from JK is just the right length for this mount.

also, i will agree with the other guys, sounds like FSD to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
16gaSxS said:
I can not under stand why they have not forced GM do a recall on these things because of the this. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS...........

Actually Gm has a current recall or as they call it "SPECIAL POLICY" in place to change these or the IP out if needed, and it cover just about all of the trucks they were installed in.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Cat 3406;

Where might a fellow find this "special policy" that GM has out?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somebody is missing the point here.

Yes there is a policy in place that says GM will replace the pump if you happen to be able to prove to them in thier shop that the truck will not start. But why should I have to wait till then for some thing that is clearly documentable as a True Hazard. Did I have to wait for my window switch to have a fire? Did I have to wait till my wipers died? No people made noise.

The differance here is that most of us who drive diesels are not of the Cradle to Grave mentality. We tend to fix what has broken and just ***** about it here or on another fourm. Lets redirect our bitchin.

If I wait till the darn thing fails going dow the back side of the Continental Divide with my trailer I do not thing anyone will be able to determine the cause of the crash as being the FSD.

If you agree look at the suggestion made by Roo-bee i& 16gaSxS in my post titled. GM recall & FSD problems.Edited by: HowieE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Howie

Do you notice a change in the reading on your amp guage. My buddy just had a PMD with the intermittant problems fixed. Before replacing the PMD he thought his alternator was going because the charging rate was below 13 V after the PMD was replaced (actually, complete pump and PMD) voltage output is back to 14+ V.

John

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well an update.

The darn thing took an other hissy fit this weekend. It started missing after a restart once the truck was warmed up and I had stopped for about 5 mins. After shopping and restarting the truck it ran for about 1/2 mile then started missing and eventually stalled out alltogeather. Would restart after 30 sec. only to start missing again and stalling out. Eventually I could only drive about 50 yards between stalls.

I was carrying a new plate mounted FSD that I had started to design a mounting for it under the bumper. Had not installed the new one under the bumper but since I had it I just slapped it in and dropped it under the hood to get me home. Crude but effective.

The first photo is of the intended location for the cooler. I had to make a dummy setup to test the fit and the wood you see is just how the cooler will be mounted. The second photo is the get me home fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts