Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my truck let me down today, damn good thing i did not get hit t-bone style also thanks to it crapping out
in the middle of a INTERSECTION 4TIMES...

Got 1700 miles on it, coming home on the express way, get to my exit stop, (no traffic light, just a stop sign)wait for the 10 cars in front of me to get through the intersection, i get up to go, look both ways, cars far enough away to pull out (especially with juice!) hit the pedal, truck goes out to about half way across the rode and DIES. Turn the key starts right up, hit the gas, DIES?? turn key fires right up, hit pedal DIES, fires back up hit pedal, DIES... Ok fire it up, let it idle in drive to get across the street and out of the way of the 15 cars that are now backed up both ways and pissed that my truck is road BLOCKING both directions of travel, figures it was a slightly up hill intersection so the truck barely limped off the road. All guages looked fine, hit the gas a few times in park and it almost died every time i hit the pedal, got mad after of this a few times and floored it and it finally reved up, let it idle, hit the gas reved fine, put it in drive and drove the rest of the way home no problem??

So what gives with my truck???????????

i got home atfer it started running right and thought maybe crap fuel, its down to half tank and ran fine before that, pulled out my bottle and hose and connected it to the filter drain and opened the filter drain, no water, no crud, just pristine looking fuel. Odd part was when i opened the bleeder screw BEFORE i opened the drain it blew air pressure out, not tons but a quick hiss??? Found that to be odd?? seems somehow air got in the system, totally stock system no mods don't know how it would get air. If it had air why would it start fine every time, but yet die every time the pedal was hit??

Any ideas would be helpful!!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
how long ya been juiced? what version?? Dunno if it wil help but try removeing the bleeder screw and pump the fuel back up maybe its got a dry filter. im not a tech and i have no clue but im a backyard mehanic and thats what I would try.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sure sounds like an air problem to me.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Are you sure it was air coming out and not air going in? Later! Frank

·
Registered
817 Posts
I will bet Frank is right. The his is probably air going in and not out. If you do have an air bubble, you might have had a large enough pocket to kill the engine when you needed more flow. When you idled out of the way and kept playing with it, you were slowly pushing the air back to the tank and through the injectors. If it does it again, and you can safely, try hitting the primer a couple of times to see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
First things first remove Juice to comfirm it's not related to the problem ... Have you "changed" or "added" anything since the problem ??

Mac

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine would't start after it sat for a few hours. I pumped up the primer and it took right off. I changed the filter and haven't had a problem since.

Max

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold be air going in i suppose???? My thought was if it was full of fuel how would air go in when opening the bleeder??

I have changed nothing on the truck sonce it happened, put the juice and attitude on it last weekend. If it would not have cleard up i would have unplugged the juice. Put 100 miles on it today and it ran perfect. I'm just a little nervous it might pull this stunt again.................

·
Registered
817 Posts
Our fuel system runs under a vacuum unless you have added a lift pump. It can be as much as 10" Hg or more under hard acceleration. It will suck a plastic bottle flat, as I have seen it done on my truck.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
what is that bottle attached to?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i understand its runs under vacuum, but the truck was NOT running, if its not running and the filter is full of fuel how would it suck in air when opening the bleeder????

·
Registered
490 Posts
IF the bleeder screw was not tight. Fuel contracts when it cools down, and COULD suck air through a loose bleeder screw, or loose hose connection, etc.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The fuel stays under vacuum even after the engine is shut down. Merely by the gravity of the fuel trying to drain back to the tank. Are you having to prime between starts ? If not it may not be air related.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ditto a bear! I might add that every fitting, connection, etc. between the tank and the inlet to the transfer pump has to be tight. If so, you will release a vacuum every time you open a bleeder that is higher than the bottom of the tank. I think not knowing the difference between air in and out has caused a lot of problems for a lot of folks. With two filters it is very important to bleed all the air out of the system. I think some of the stalling and no starts were result of air that was not purged rather than new air or cavitation. Later! Frank

·
Registered
817 Posts
Diesel Power said:
what is that bottle attached to?

It was attached to a tee in the line before the engine, but after the OEM filter. I was using the bottle as an air trap to see what air was going into the engine. It didn't work to well. I eventually changed to a clear sightglass or clear fuel filter that I used like a sight glass for my trap. They had to be hard because of the extream vacuum. After I added a lift pump, it became a non issue and is no longer on the truck.Edited by: chuntag95

·
Registered
817 Posts
gsxr1216 said:
Yes i understand its runs under vacuum, but the truck was NOT running, if its not running and the filter is full of fuel how would it suck in air when opening the bleeder????

Just a side note, when the fuel cools, it will move the system from positive to negative pressure, even when a lift pump is installed. I had a gauge on my truck for quite a while and that was a consistant reaction. It is no where near what you can get to without a lift pump, but you can still see air go in. Just FYI.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tell you that fuel gets hot, when i opened the bleeder it was as soon as i got the truck home so it was hot, i drained the fule into a bottle and it was pretty warm!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I want to say I have seen well over 100 degrees on my Predator. Maybe as high as 160 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How are you guys getting fuel temps?????? i assume theires a sensor somewhere since it has a fuel heater, is there a guage that is compatible with it????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts