Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am also a 1st time diesel owner. I have been reading everything on this forum and am hopelessly addicted.

I have a problem I think you can help me with. I have less than 1500 miles on my new 2004 GMC with a Duramx/Allison. The other day, while on cruise control at 70mph, the engine sputtered and blew out a puff of smoke. It did again in succession. Then about 2 days later, after starting it up and letting it warm up, I noticed the engine light was on. As I attempted to drive away, it seemed as though the transmission wouldn't shift into second gear. I turned it of, waited about a minute and started it again. The engine light was still on but it drove fine. After I got to work, I had my wife come get it to take it to the dealership. It did the same thing for her, but it would not be fine after she turned it off so I had it towed in. I about cried
knowing a brand new $40K truck was being towed.

Anyway, the dealer called me later and said that they didn't recognized the code displayed on the "Tech II" (whatever that is) and neither did the "tech line". The technician was going to have to trouble shoot everything by hand.

Anybody know what it could be? When I hear from the dealership, I will let you know what it was.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a fuel filter that was clogged very early in the game and it did kind of the same thing with the shifting. The diff with mine was it really acted up when I got past half throttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got my truck back on 11-17-03. The dealer said it was the TCM (transmission control module). The code they weren't familiar with was P0700. Supposedly they performed Bulletin PI013. The TCM was replaced and the code went away.

While driving the truck, I noticed the transmission didn't feel right. I figured if I took it back, they would say everything was fine since they wouldn't be able to find a code.

On 11-20-03, the truck did the same thing. The engine light came on and the transmission wouldn't shift into 2nd. I had it towed in a 2nd time. Now they are telling me it's a 'valve' problem in the tranny. The tech is guessing one of the valves in the tranny is not opening and allowing fluid to flow. When questioned how the tech knows this, I was told it's base on his experience...go figure.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm starting to document all this in the event the Lemon Law applies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts