Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a big block fan. I really like the 8.1 I have now. Maybe its a always want more power thing, but I am thinking about a Dmax to pull the 13,000# 5r a little better.

The gas mileage reminds me of pay me now or pay me later. Meaning the extra cost for the diesel will get you better mileage. I would only change for the extra torque and pulling power.

I have been reading on here for a few months, trying to convince myself I need a diesel. Reading about how easy it is to get bad fuel, and use, or not use, addatives. Fuel filters can be a problem. Injectors fail, and are very expensive when warranty runs out.

I am more confused than ever.

I have had no problems with my big block, and would like to feel I could have the same level of confidence with the diesel.

Am I reading to much into this fuel, filter, injector, problem?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

SteveEdited by: KCSteve

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't believe they ever have or ever will make a perfect line of trucks. Over the years I've had excellent service from gasoline powered. All that being said, I don't regret buying our current D'max. Knowing what I know now I would have installed an after market fuel filter much sooner. If making any purchase makes you uneasy, why do it? Can only say for me that if I had to purchase a new truck today my only decision would be Chevy or GMC D'max/Allison.

Jim

·
Registered
365 Posts
KCSTEVE,

If you tow a lot and put on higher mileage (over 40,000 miles a year) the diesel is THE choice. For occasional towing, mostly in-town use and lower mileage, stay with the gasser. IMHO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Steve---It's a call that only you can make for yourself. I can tell you that I've never had a vehicle of ANY kind that I enjoyed driving more than I do this truck! It's simply awsome.
I may have some kind of problem down the road which I'll deal with when and if it happens. Nothing made by man is perfect. For now I just smile from ear to ear everytime I crank her up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------Phil

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
if you take the right precautions, like secondary filtration, additives and proper maintenance, you can have thousands of trouble free miles. in the end, it is a personal choice. like mentioned above, lots of heavy towing will take its toll on the gasser while the diesel will only get better with time. the posts you read about injectors and other problems represent probably less than one percent of the duramax population.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't upgrade to a Duramax for more power, because your 8.1 has more, 340hp vs. 310hp. The Duramax just makes it at a lower rpm is all.

But, it's very easy to add 50% more power to the Duramax. Getting that much more power out of the 8.1 is much more complex and expensive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ski1,

..."the posts you read about injectors and other problems represent probably less than one percent of the duramax population."

Agreed, but that is the 1% with high mileage that's also had near 100% trouble.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The Duramax is probably a state of mind thing. Otherwise there's not much chance of justifying a $6000.00 upgrade.

That having been said, there is not much comparison to the gasser except in a few areas. I see you live in KC, so one of the prime considerations for me, the turbo, won't really show itself as quickly at your altitude. Where I live at 4500 ft. above sea level, the Duramax's will flat out run the gassers. It gets even more apparent in most of the places where I tow things, up to about 9000 ft. above sea level.

It's been awhile since I had a diesel, and I know that fuel can be a problem. But just a touch of care in station selection, filter changes and if you're inclined a secondary filter will prevent that. But there are thousands of people who drive these things and don't know or care about such mechanical items. The group here are ADDICTS for the most part, I plan on joining them SOON.....

I had diesels, went to gassers, I'm about to make the full circle and I don't anticipate any regrets.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are getting a new truck now it should be a no brainer (ya I know old expression, but that's what I am LOL). You will be getting the new engine LLY and it has several changes in design to solve some of the higher cost items on the old LB7. No one knows if it will end up being better, but from a repair prospect it will be cheaper to repair if that becomes necessary and maybe even allow us home shadetree mechanics to change our own injectors since they are now accessible from outside the valve covers etc.

I will probably get an '04 or an '05 DMAX myself. My '01 has been basically flawless and there are a few horror stories out there, but majority seem very pleased with their trucks.

Once you get it, come back here and let us all tell you what to add LOL ha ha ha

Go for it, you only live one and once you've tried a diesel you will be hooked. I know I was....

Edited by: Chevysrus

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
captainmal said:
Agreed, but that is the 1% with high mileage that's also had near 100% trouble.

Ya, Ya, and the grass is always greener on the other side

Sorry I know of at least 4 Dmax's (1-2001 and 3-2002's) that have 120k + on them with no problems or complaints. They were part of the reason I chose the Dmax.

How many people you know go to forums to say, "My truck ran great this week with no problems"???

I belong to at least 8 different automotive related forums and it’s the same in all of them.

But they will come here to ask anyone if they have had a certain problem and to discuss.

I had a '96 3500 series 7.4 and it ran great! Got a whole 8-9 mgp but would boil the tires to the rims. It was a lot of fun but just killed me in MPG.

Hence the Dmax, out of the box it would leave any stock F*rd or M*rparts I came up against, but with the exhaust and Juice I usually don’t even get out of 3rd gear before they give up and back off.

I bought my Dmax for the fun factor and occasional towing, (see pictures below) and I drive 75 miles round trip to work every day. After only 8 months, I already have over 22k (trouble free) miles on her.

I live in <st1:City><st1:place>Independence</st1:place></st1:City> near you so give me a holler if you have any questions or want to see my truck.

Nathan

·
Registered
365 Posts
HD-Nate,

Thanks for the report on the four trucks you know of that do have higher mileage. When I read of them it is always third hand...someone knows someone that has one with the mileage or heard of a guy etc. Strange that I have yet to talk with anyone who HAS one with high mileage and few problems.

I praised my Duramax to the max when it had 117,000 miles on it. It literally ran ..."great with no problems". After that - kafooey.

Here's wishing you and your four acquaintances the continued best of luck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ZFMax said:
Don't upgrade to a Duramax for more power, because your 8.1 has more, 340hp vs. 310hp. The Duramax just makes it at a lower rpm is all.

Horsepower is second to Torque. Torque is where power comes from. You cant beat the Diesel for Torque.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
2MuchFun said:
[

Horsepower is second to Torque. Torque is where power comes from.
No, power comes from both torque and rpm. Look at the equation, power is literally torque times rpm.

The 8.1's power is made up of higher rpm and lower torque than the Duramax. But that doesn't make it's power somehow weaker than the Duramax's. Torque and rpm have equivalent contributions to the performance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ZFMax said:
2MuchFun said:
[

Horsepower is second to Torque. Torque is where power comes from.
No, power comes from both torque and rpm. Look at the equation, power is literally torque times rpm.

The 8.1's power is made up of higher rpm and lower torque than the Duramax. But that doesn't make it's power somehow weaker than the Duramax's. Torque and rpm have equivalent contributions to the performance.
Well, Ya, sorta.
More formally - torque is a measure of force x distance.
Power is a rate of doing work (force x distance/time).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
KC Steve,

I decided to buy the max after we bought a travel trailer last year. The Dodge Conversion Van would tow it, but it was tough at times. Never have owned a diesel before, but have worked for many years for MAST and our Powerstrokes have performed well. Did my research and believe the max is overall a better buy and Chevy has more options than the Ford or Dodge. Go for it.

HD-Nate,

How have the revo's performed? Quiet? Pick up many rocks? I am looking at the 265's for an upgrade when my truck arrives. How is the ride with the 285's? I plan on having the bars cranked 6-7 turns to level her out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ArrBee said:
Well, Ya, sorta.
More formally - torque is a measure of force x distance.
No, force x distance = work. Apply a force of 1lb for a distance of 1 foot and you've done 1 ft-lb of work.

That's very different from torque, which is a term to describe rotational force only. Apply 1lb of force at a 1 foot radius and you have 1 ft-lb (or more correctly lb-ft) of torque. You can have torque without any movement whatsoever.

Confusing the two is a common mistake because of the similarity in the units. But they mean two different things.Edited by: ZFMax

1 - 20 of 28 Posts