Diesel Place banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven’t torn one of these down yet so i am not sure how everything goes together, but on a Waukesha when you install the cam gear if you get it off or not in the right spot you have all kinds of timing/ running issues. Is it possible you are off on your gear and out of time with the engine?

Reactions: peziofabietti2010

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I haven’t torn one of these down yet so i am not sure how everything goes together, but on a Waukesha when you install the cam gear if you get it off or not in the right spot you have all kinds of timing/ running issues. Is it possible you are off on your gear and out of time with the engine?
On the beginning I suspect I did something wrong and I remove water pump to check but the gear of injection pump is on right position with camshaft gear.
Marks on two gears are fitting.
On gear of injection pump there is 5 holes, 3 are for bolts, one is empty and last is for referance position.
There are no chance to making mistakes except for marks on the gears for position.
This is why am struggling to understand why i have this problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you checked your harness to make sure you don’t have a loose or pushed pin?
On the beginning I suspect I did something wrong and I remove water pump to check but the gear of injection pump is on right position with camshaft gear.
Marks on two gears are fitting.
On gear of injection pump there is 5 holes, 3 are for bolts, one is empty and last is for referance position.
There are no chance to making mistakes except for marks on the gears for position.
This is why am struggling to understand why i have this problems.

Reactions: Glagulator

·
Registered
20 Posts
No the harness that goes to your injection pump. Check and make sure you didn’t push a pin in when you replaced it.

Reactions: peziofabietti2010

·
Registered
1997 GMC K3500 dually 4L80 4x4
64 Posts
It sure seems like the timing in the IP driven by the stepper motor is what you're fighting. I'm not sure where the arm is for 0 deg. Maybe someone knows and could chime in. Is the arm all the way up? Down? in the middle? I'm asking about the physical position of the arm that the stepper motor moves. For instance, It may be the arm is stuck at 25 Deg advance, even though it's commanded to 0. I think the only way to know is to know where the physical position of the arm is supposed to be at 0 deg. Hope that makes sense.

Mac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It sure seems like the timing in the IP driven by the stepper motor is what you're fighting. I'm not sure where the arm is for 0 deg. Maybe someone knows and could chime in. Is the arm all the way up? Down? in the middle? I'm asking about the physical position of the arm that the stepper motor moves. For instance, It may be the arm is stuck at 25 Deg advance, even though it's commanded to 0. I think the only way to know is to know where the physical position of the arm is supposed to be at 0 deg. Hope that makes sense.

Mac

Good point of view!
And now I understand exactly what is meant by "arm".
My knowledge of the injection pump is very small, but now I have another trace.
I'll check it out next week.
Thank you!

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is why I like this forum, you guys are so much smarter than me, lol. I understood the pin in the plug but I don't know anything about the stepper motor or arm yet. I sure hope you figure this thing out soon. best regards Robert

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
The DS4 injection pump has one of the best advance systems ever built. It corrects timing so fast that it is absolutely amazing that it gives very little problems. When running you should see the little arm just bouncing away correcting the timing on the go. I have never witnessed this, but from what I have read the thing will bottom out trying to correct timing that is way off..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts