Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dipstick tube broke at the mounting bracket :mad: and I'm having trouble removing it. Does anybody have any tips or tricks? I removed the heat shield from the right side of the transmission and it looks like the oil cooer lines could be in the way. But first I need to get the end of the tube out of the trans, it's blocked from coming out somehow.

I'm going to the dealer to pick up the part, 15986946, for $35. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Engine coolant lines, for what looks like the auxiliary heater, were in the way of removing the tube. I had to bend the mounting bracket up to give it more room to move. The tube came out :D of the topside after wiggling it around and moving it to the left side of the engine where there is more room.

The service manual only goes so far in helping to figure it out because it doesn't take into account obstructions from various options like oil coolers and rear heaters.

Now that I got it out with 8 inches or so of the tube broken off and a bent mount, I hope the new one will fit intact. :think:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not fitting

The new tube is not fitting well because of a rather large body panel seam above the bellhousing. It protrudes down so much that the bottom end of the tube cant make it over the seal and into the transmission body. Since modifying the seam would be too dificult, I cut 1/2" off the end of the tube so it should have enough clearance. :idea: I hate having to modify parts, but this will have no effect on the gauge.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done

The tube is in finally. Taking 1/2" off the bottom end did the trick. The only problem is that even with the mount tightened down the ring on the tube didn't seat completely against the top of the new seal. It's above it by maybe 1/4", which will throw off the gauge a little. Maybe it has settled in farther after the test drive, so I'll check it tomorrow. If I shoot for keeping the level mid-way it won't be overfilled. :)

I hope you've enjoyed my dipstick tube saga. :clap: :rockit:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts