Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need some help here. I've made the up my mind to go with Toyo Open Country M/T's but I can't decided if I should go with 265's or 285's. I know the 285's would look "cooler" but they would also lower MPG's and I could have tranny shift issues as well as rubbing issues (according to tire shop and GM mechanic). The tire shop (Les Scwab) suggest 265's and says NO WAY on cranking TB's. I'm leaning more towards the 265's just to keep things closer to OEM..............what do you guys think?????

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I doubt you would notice any drop in fuel economy. The 285's will actually carry heavier load than the 265. Turning the bars is not a bad thing, and you might not have to do it much. If you already think that they look "cooler" I would go with that. It is easier to do it now, than to spend the money on something you don't want.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I doubt you would notice any drop in fuel economy. The 285's will actually carry heavier load than the 265. Turning the bars is not a bad thing, and you might not have to do it much. If you already think that they look "cooler" I would go with that. It is easier to do it now, than to spend the money on something you don't want.
You'll have to prove that one to me. The 265's come in a E rating that puts them at 3415lbs per tire. The 285's are a D rated tire that is 3300lbs per tire. Now, you MIGHT be able to find something different and if you do I'd like to know about it, BUT it's a lot more common to find what I just listed.

I also have to say that you will probably notice a drop in fuel economy as many here have. Not much, 1/2-1 mpg at the most.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
285/75/16 E [email protected] In a BF Goodrich AT. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf Firestone makes a 305 E, Nitto makes a 295/75/16 at 3415 And 1/2 to 1 mpg drop is not very much, considering a head wind could set you back that much. Or even worse a heavy foot. I wasn't saying you wouldn't lose any, I just meant to me it is not enough to warrant not getting the size I want. But to each his own.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No offense Cheyenne19, but I was just trying to point out tires that are more common to find should he be on a road trip and loose one. You show tires that are available but usually have to be ordered and come at a price in my travels. I need something that I can find fairly easy should the need arise.

As far as the mileage, like I said it's very little but there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Any time you run a rough tread, you will consume more fuel. It is because the tires roll much harder than the tires that come on it. They have much more rolling resistence than regular tires do.
I wouldn't go more than 265's because of the narrow rim that you are putting them on. stock is 6.5 inch wide rim. That is not an approved rim for either tire, but it is much closer on the 265. Any warranty claims could be overturned if they know you have them on the wrong rims.
Won't make much difference if you don't haul heavy or pull and haul. The 285's on that narrow of rim could cause bead issues down the road when you least expect it or want it.
My advise is to stick with 265's

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you keep the stock rims go 265's if you get different ones than go 285's. My opinion is go with whatever looks best so I would go bigger. I had 265's on my last truck and I always wished I would have went with 285's.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Terrain Twister, I couldn't find many E load range of either size. My guess is that they would both have to be hard to find if you broke down somewhere, but that's why they make spares. I would imagine, though i could be wrong, that the load range D 265's and 285's are much easier to find. That's what I was in reference to earlier. You guys are right about the 6.5 inch rim. If you run a wide tire on it you end up wearing out the centers on you tires.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would have to agree with going with 265s. also the 265s will not give you tire rub in hard turns that the 285s do.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I like big tires, so I am the wrong guy to ask.

But, if you're worried about load rating and mileage, you don't want 285's. If you want the truck to look sharp and a little extra $$ isn't a problem...285's :ro)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like big tires, so I am the wrong guy to ask.

But, if you're worried about load rating and mileage, you don't want 285's. If you want the truck to look sharp and a little extra $$ isn't a problem...285's :ro)
:exactly: I couldn't agree more...:exactly:
These are $40k-plus trucks and it seems a lot of people are worried about 1 mile per gallon when they move up to a better looking wheel and tire combo?..... I can't see fuel mileage being the determining factor between 265's and 285's. Try upgrading your wheels and tires on a gasser....):h Those guys get hit at the pumps bigtime!!
I may be in the minority, but after spending the money on the truck, performance upgrades, stereo's, interior and exterior mod's, etc... an extra couple bucks on fuel isn't a huge concern when the truck looks 100% better.....
Just my Opinion....please don't shoot:rant:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just took my first road trip since I put on the 285's and I get BETTER mileage. I recorded an all time record of 19.2. My previous best was 17.8

Mileage was calculated by adding 7% to DIC readings.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No worries Cheyenne19. Like I said, it's what I've found in my travels.

zr2yz125, I believe the difference is only 5% and not 7% when gong from 245's to 285's, but I've been wrong before. :eek: You may also want to verify the DIC as there seems to be a variance from being dead on to off by more than 2-3 miles per gallon, and that's with stock tires! If the DIC is off, it seems that it's multiplied even further with larger tires. Mine is off by 1/4-1/2 mpg with 245's and 1/2-1 mpg with 265's.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
None at all, Terrain Twister. I agree with ONETALL and Brad1 about the cost. Since we are somewhat on the subject, if you have recalibrated for tire size how much can the DIC be trusted for gauging fuel economy?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the Toyo Open Country MT 285's won out. It looks much "cooler" then 265's but rides like chit plus they rub even after trimming, going to definately need to trim more. I can tell a difference in HP also, it takes more pedal to move the truck. Also, stopping is less responsive then with the 265's. Overall I like the looks and sure I'll like them off road but not to sure about the road noise, rough ride and loss of power. They also seem to wonder all over the road and take more "driving" effort then the Toyo AT's that came off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just changed out my 285's Toyo's AT to 265 E Load Range Toyo AT because my 06 GMC they were rubbing even with the t-bars raised and I did not want to trim the front bumper shroud.They handle great and look pretty good as well I'm pleased with them I have pics in my garage of them I lowered the T-bars back down a 1/2 inch much better ride for them long hauls

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'm not sure if it is possible to break tires in, but I've noticed new tires, especially mud tires crawl around a bit when new. It should go away.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
None at all, Terrain Twister. I agree with ONETALL and Brad1 about the cost. Since we are somewhat on the subject, if you have recalibrated for tire size how much can the DIC be trusted for gauging fuel economy?
The only thing I was able to have re-calibrated was the ABS system. The speedometer cannot be re-calibrated so when I figure my mileage (and speed:D ) I factor in the 3% (if that's correct, it's been awhile since I hand calc'd it) difference. I just take the worst case of 1 MPG difference that I had hand calc'd in the past and subtract it from whatever the DIC is currently showing.
I also understand the feelings about cost. Just wanted to make sure SpikeDmax (or anyone else) had all the facts in front of them.:)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Toyo OC MT's will wander all over the road until you get some miles on them. I ran them in a 37X14.50X15 on my gasser. They seemed very soft and wandered at first. After a couple thousand miles, they settle down very well...just a lot of tread to begin with!:ro)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Mud tires tend to cost a little more, use more fuel. and wear considerably faster than regular tires. And if you don't go in the mud with them, then they tend to be a pretty expensive way to change the look. I have had mud tires on trucks before, and for farm use, there is nothing better. For driving down the Interstate, they are horrible. They don't ride nearly as well and are much noiser than regular tires. I had a set of mud tires that I ran in the winter and all purpose treads for the summer. There was night and day difference in the way the truck performed. It handled better, was much quieter and didn't wander near as badly as with mud tires. Most mud tires don't have sipes in them which makes them very poor on wet pavement, and snow. I found this to be very true in this case.

If you compare life cycle cost between the two, you will see a pretty good difference. 1 to 2 mpg doesn't sound like much, but figure it over the life of the truck, it becomes a little bigger number. Also, the fact that you will replace those tires twice to a third as much as regular tires, the differences can add up very quickly. Sort of sneaks up on you.
If the money isn't that big of issue, then go for it. I know for me, I don't do enough mud slingin to put up with all the negatives. I get really tired of hearing those lugs slapping on the road. All I can think of is how fast they are wearing off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts