Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stock 2006 has this code p003a, idles funny, shift points seems different, and turbo boost is not normal, although it runs fine down the highway, I cleared the code and within 30 minutes it was back. I know the code reads turbo vane position not learned.........i have read numerous threads about this....my question is will i do damage by driving it easy and not pulling anything......its not within the time of warranty anymore so the funds are coming out of my pocket?

·
Registered
564 Posts
my stock 2006 has this code p003a, idles funny, shift points seems different, and turbo boost is not normal, although it runs fine down the highway, I cleared the code and within 30 minutes it was back. I know the code reads turbo vane position not learned.........i have read numerous threads about this....my question is will i do damage by driving it easy and not pulling anything......its not within the time of warranty anymore so the funds are coming out of my pocket?
My truck has been doing this for a few months on and off. I've got a used VPS waiting to be put in.

Unfortunately, most people that have that code end up needing a new turbo.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine needed a new turbo as well when it got that (as well as a P2563). However, I drove it for 6 months like that and had no issues at all. I could have continued to drive it that way for quite a bit longer I am sure. When I took it in to get diagnosed they had it for a few days before determining it needed a new turbo, and they quoted a week to get it back but I was going clamming at the coast and it was really raining out, so I told them I needed my truck back for a few days (it had a canopy and the rental would not). They said no problem with driving it, just bring it back whenever I was done and wanted to get the turbo replaced.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
689 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had right around 90k when it started. Truck was completely stock.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
glandeche,

The P003A code refers to the Turbocharger Boost Control Position Not Learned. I am sorry, but the other posters are correct. This is most likely an issue with the turbocharger and it may need to be replaced. This is just a suggestion and is not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine is also doing it. LBZ with 115k miles.

I can't say I'm impressed with such few miles on it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mine is also doing it. LBZ with 115k miles.

I can't say I'm impressed with such few miles on it.
HA, mine only has 39k miles!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I"ve also been dealing with the same codes. Only 32,xxx miles on mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts