Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First thing you have to do is buy a console from a sunroof equipped vehicle. It should have the sunroof switch, lights, homelink, microphone, and heater controls. I've included a picture of the one I bought. I swapped all the inside parts from mine into the Denali one. I did this because my switches and buttons were black and the plug was different on the homelink connection.

I trial fitted the gauges into the new console. It doesn't quite fit. You can press the top in but the bottom wouldn't go in. I took very little material off of the bottom of the console and it pushed in all the way. I used a dremel and then sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper. There were two little supports that I cut with a knife to relieve some tension. They are shown in one of the pictures.

Once I got the the mount to fit in correctly I modified the Autometer gauge holders. I cut the standoffs off and put them back together. See pictures for more details.

I wanted the gauge mount to fit securely in so I fabricated some little brackets. Luckily there are two .250-20UNC holes to use. I bought some allen head screws that fit perfect. See pictures for brackets and the finished mounting.

Once I had that all done I had to trim the black piece that the overhead console snaps into. I had to trim a little to make room for the wires and boost tube/fitting. See pictures for more info.

Once the black piece is mounted back into the truck you need to cut some sheetmetal out of the way. This is shown in the pictures.

It all snaps back together like stock and still uses the one overhead screw to help hold it up.

With everything finished you can wire it all up:D
I suggest buying a Dremel if you don't have one;)

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Very crafty, exactly what I want! Can you list all the part numbers for the Autometer gauge holder, and gauges please. What year denali is that upper console from? My truck has the sunroof, but there is no heater controls - it's only a small pocket (1.5" thick) and that is why I didn't think this mod was possable. How hard was it to fish the wires and tube through, did you have to remove the headliner, or just the drivers side pillar? I sure appreciate all your help, great pictures and directions - now I don't have to figure it out myself.

Nice work!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Man that looks cool. Nice job !

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
nice job so now everyone can use that mount i guess guy better get busy making some mounts for everyone

·
Registered
42 Posts
MAX4X4- Nice work! Looks sharp. Where did you get the console from? And what vehicle is that off of that has the heater controls? I might do this instead of a pillar style.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My overhead console came out of a 2001 Denali. It took awhile to find one on EBAY that was the exact color of my original overhead console.

The gauges I bought are Autometer Sport Comp II.

The gauge mount is from Trippin http://www.socaldiesel.com/Gauge.htm

Check out BMDMAX's guide. It will answer a lot of your wiring questions.
http://www.bmdmax.com/Gauges.html.0.html

I took of both sun visors and drivers side pillar to do mine.

Jeremy James Andres;1992860; said:
Very crafty, exactly what I want! Can you list all the part numbers for the Autometer gauge holder, and gauges please. What year denali is that upper console from? My truck has the sunroof, but there is no heater controls - it's only a small pocket (1.5" thick) and that is why I didn't think this mod was possable. How hard was it to fish the wires and tube through, did you have to remove the headliner, or just the drivers side pillar? I sure appreciate all your help, great pictures and directions - now I don't have to figure it out myself.

Nice work!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
that looks awesome, great job/writeup

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Yukon XL sunroof equipped consoles can be used also. They sould all have the rear heat/ac controls.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your right........I just found one that color matched my original and went for it:D

JoshH;1993524; said:
I could be wrong, but I think the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Yukon XL sunroof equipped consoles can be used also. They sould all have the rear heat/ac controls.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to Nick at NorCal Truck for getting me all the parts before the weekend!:ro)

I also got a BD exhaust manifold from him which I still need to install.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
WHAT!?!?! NICK!?!?!

I'm the one that made it happen! I had to speak up - i'm tired of him taking all the credit! We all know who really does all the work around here ...

Looks puurty :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: ;)

NorCal Dre;1993631; said:
WHAT!?!?! NICK!?!?!

I'm the one that made it happen! I had to speak up - i'm tired of him taking all the credit! We all know who really does all the work around here ...

Looks puurty :)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
That's is awesome! I'm going to order that plate for my HD.
OH WAIT! I don't have one! :mad:

I better stop ... i'm going to get myself into trouble! Here he comes!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
NorCal Dre;1994188; said:
That's is awesome! I'm going to order that plate for my HD.
OH WAIT! I don't have one! :mad:

I better stop ... i'm going to get myself into trouble! Here he comes!!!
Does HD stand for Home for the Dunes? :D :D :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not trying to bash the thread at all, but How does this differ from "BD's guide to gauge hotness"? I used the same console but no sunroof switch and I did this like 1 1/2 years ago? Isn't it the same thing?

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
X-Treme;1994420; said:
Not trying to bash the thread at all, but How does this differ from "BD's guide to gauge hotness"? I used the same console but no sunroof switch and I did this like 1 1/2 years ago? Isn't it the same thing?
This was to aid the sunroof truck owners in switching over to a console that will accept a gauge mount. Sunroof trucks have different consoles with very small openings.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ahhhh....gotcha.

Thanx for the clarification.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Trippin;1994445; said:
This was to aid the sunroof truck owners in switching over to a console that will accept a gauge mount. Sunroof trucks have different consoles with very small openings.
Ya, it's so small it's good for nothing. I used to put my wallet up there in my 03, but can't fit **** in the new one. That's why I thought about putting gauges up there, just couldn't figure out how - until now. Thanx again guys!:D

P.S. That's a pretty hot avatar X-Treme, I gotto go now!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts