Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I FINALLY have a set of H2 wheels. Or rather they will be here in a day or so.

Now I have to think about trimming the front air dam. I will be putting a set os 305/70/17 tires on.

How did you trim your air dam? How much? What did you use?

I don't want to go after this thing with a zip wheel when shears will do.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Chev or GMC and what year? My 03 GMC has a painted air dam vs everything else is plain black plastic. I trimmed as little as possible with a very sharp knife, one of those extendo blades, AFTER the tires were on. I trimmed enough for an extra 1/2" clearance. Use masking tape to give yourself a line. I wanted to blend the lines of my painted one otherwise it will look hacked. My pics show a closeup, #3.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I trimed mine for my plow with a dremel and a metal bit guy. I dont know what they are called but its kinda spherical little guy. The cutoff wheels seem to melt stuff. Its pretty soft, a knife might work?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Jeli I know you've explained this before, but what again was the reason you fabricated that shock extension??

Mike

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
VFRRider, With the green keys I'm at 2 3/4" over stock. That extended my shocks to the point they are out of their sweet spot for control. It made the ride very tight. The spacers are to shorten the shock length and get it back into the sweet spot. Since the bottom shock mount is at an angle my spacers added height but also kick the end out. Doing this helped soften the ride but it's still rougher than stock. You can't go with thicker spacers because you'll end up running into the half shaft. To do this right would take a some time with a tape measure and calculator to do the geometry and fashion a new lower shock mount. The spacers were meant to get me by. When I replace the shocks I'll do it right and remove the spacers.

Note - Before the spacer besides a tight ride the worst problem was in a downhill cloverleaf the front end would porpoise side to side because the shocks were too tight and were overreacting. I didn't like the way it handled at all even on dry pavement. Now I can hit the same off ramp pretty fast, 30 mph. I still get a little but at 2 3/4" over stock I'm pushing it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys, I thought I had my truck info in my sig..I see I need to update it.

I have a 2003 Chevy Ext Cab 4x4.

I might try extending the bumper a little. If that gets to be too much then I will use the dremel tool.

Thanks for the input!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts