Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search thing until my eyes hurt & didn't find what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a set of rubber (flexible) mud flaps that DO NOT attach to the fender flair, ones that attach to the frame. this truck will see mud curbs rocks & other hazards that will probably tear the flaps off. I does not bother me if a flap gets torn off but I don't want to tear off a $1400. bed side. I don't like the ones that hang off the hitch either. anyone have any sugestions?

·
Registered
954 Posts
they sell the brackets and mud flapframes at most truck stops to attach the mudflap to the frame.probably set you back 30.00

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they sell the brackets and mud flap frames at most truck stops to attach the mudflap to the frame. probably set you back 30.00
I've looked at that, as a matter of fact I took one of my old ones off my big truck & it will not work. I guess I will have to make my own brackets up.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
make your own is your best bet or mod some brackets of your old ones

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 94 has a one inch square tube running from fender well to fender well across the frame and is tacked in place with a weld. The mud flaps are attached with bolts and nuts with holes drilled thru the tubing. Actually a very simple and inexpensive way of doing it. The upper and lower flap has a nice aluminum plate that gives some spine to the mud flap to keep it from flapping around and rubbing the tires.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the ideas I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Steve

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
My 94 has a one inch square tube running from fender well to fender well across the frame and is tacked in place with a weld. The mud flaps are attached with bolts and nuts with holes drilled thru the tubing. Actually a very simple and inexpensive way of doing it. The upper and lower flap has a nice aluminum plate that gives some spine to the mud flap to keep it from flapping around and rubbing the tires.
Got any Pics?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I dunno, mine came with flap hangers from the dealer, they are aluminum and don't mount to the fenders. I have ripped off my fair share of flaps, usually just have to take off the aluminum, straiten it, and slap it back on......ah good times......:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been watching to see what everyone else said because I bought mine 13 years ago and cant even remember where I got them. It was a "plain jane" truck speciality store for after market parts/acces. Its about an inch and a half angle iron welded to a plate and reenforced that bolts to factory holes in the frame. Easy install, when I drilled the holes in the flap and angle iron I bolted them together with 4 bolts and very large washers to add strength and I also added the chrome hangers to keep it from flapping and chrome weights at the bottom. Its a sharp look and keeps "stuff" from hitting the rear qtr panels and collecting under the bumper. I've never "sucked" one off yet, but i did back into a stump and push the hanger into the tires and it torqued it some, I just bent it back out. It was a common accessary in California when I got my truck. I see them alot here in Texas too. Hope this helps or gives you Ideas I would think you could make them in about an hour if you can weld then drill, paint and install.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I dont know if this will help but:eek:n dump trucks,and mixers,we would cut slots above the mounting holes,that way when you got one stuck backing up against a curb or rock or whatever,it would pull itself off instead of tearing everything else up.(the flaps were rubber)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone have any pics so I know where about to mount them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
its raining this morning but supposed to clear in a few hours. I'll get some pics on later today. I havent posted any pics before, so maybe I should say I'll "attempt" to post some later. :lol:

<<--BTW, thats my blue heeler, Katy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a few pics of mine. Hope they help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I will do Bryan M's way because I have all kind of steel laying around & a welder. by the way nice dog in your avatar Bryan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts