Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! We have a 2012 Sierra 3500 that we use to pull a horse trailer. Over the years we have had various emissions issues with the DEF system, and now are stuck in Lexington with a “cleaning filter” warning which never goes off, causing limp mode. We have to get these horses back to New Jersey on Monday. So I’m hoping someone might be able to assist. I think my options are:

1) Delete the emissions protocols with performance upload, I think this is called chipping?

2) I have found a few cases of using resistors between the DDF sensors, to trick the system.

As you can tell, I know horses - but I don’t know Def systems. Any guidance is really appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
Hello all! We have a 2012 Sierra 3500 that we use to pull a horse trailer. Over the years we have had various emissions issues with the DEF system, and now are stuck in Lexington with a “cleaning filter” warning which never goes off, causing limp mode. We have to get these horses back to New Jersey on Monday. So I’m hoping someone might be able to assist. I think my options are:

1) Delete the emissions protocols with performance upload, I think this is called chipping?

2) I have found a few cases of using resistors between the DDF sensors, to trick the system.

As you can tell, I know horses - but I don’t know Def systems. Any guidance is really appreciated.

Thank you,
Welcome to DieselPlace

Any mods to your LML?

Any codes? If so, please post the exact codes here
(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! The only message I get is this. We actually took the truck to the dealer Wednesday, as the message never cleared and we had a reduced power state. $2500 later, we thought all was fixed, but yesterday the message came back so I know the reduced power is coming… I went back to the dealer, they wanted over $5k in further repairs to the filter system, and parts are unavailable. Shocking to hear after the first $2,500 spent.

I wouldn’t be so worried, it’s just with the horses everything is a worry. Thanks!
Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry! To answer your question no mods or anything extra done to the truck, also the check engine light is for low coolant caused by a bad sensor. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
Oh sorry! To answer your question no mods or anything extra done to the truck, also the check engine light is for low coolant caused by a bad sensor. Thanks again!
I would find a scanner that can pull injector balance rates to see if there are any injector issues causing the exhaust filter problem

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Any chance that you have the fault codes from the first $2500 and the $5000?

Clogged 9th injector or EGT sensor is my guess. But, not enough info is provided.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah a scanner would be a plus… If anyone is around or knows someone in the Lexington area, we would generously pay for help to get us going. I was told a performance mod to erase the the emissions filter might do the trick.

Also, if anyone knows where the plugs for the DDF sensors are, that would be a huge help. I could get some resistors and give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
715 Posts

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
Yeah a scanner would be a plus… If anyone is around or knows someone in the Lexington area, we would generously pay for help to get us going. I was told a performance mod to erase the the emissions filter might do the trick.

Also, if anyone knows where the plugs for the DDF sensors are, that would be a huge help. I could get some resistors and give that a shot.
Most local auto parts stores can read codes for free, check balance rates, trigger regens, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@navybuff that is extremely helpful!! Do you by chance know if there is a write up for installing sims specific to the GM trucks? I’m thinking the 100 ohm resistor could at least get us home until a more permanent plan is set into place.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
715 Posts
found this

·
Administrator
22,043 Posts
That’s actually ingenious! I’ll look into the speed sensor route thank you @navybuff!
I went to Autozone, the code is P0420 Three way catalyst low efficiency.
Here is a thread with some info on the P0420 code

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you @OkDually so it sounds like a bad 9th injector! I think to get home I’ll pull the speedometer feed as shown in the video - hopefully on this older truck it lets me shift past 3rd gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Heavy_GD thanks for checking in! Yes made it home safely. What I did was buy a code reader, which allowed me to reset the code every time the limited power warning popped up: which gave me full power again. For the first hour, I was hitting this every 10 minutes or so, then the truck performed flawlessly for the rest of the trip. We did blow a tire on the trailer, but can’t fault the truck there…

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you had a clogged injector, you probably should have just ran it all the way home as is. I had that same issue with my 2012 Silverado that cleared after I did a 400 mile trip. All it is, is a regen that takes a while. If Im missing what you’re actually talking about, then sorry, I just knew how to respond to your injector issue as I’ve had that exact issue…

·
Registered
16 Denali HD
46 Posts
“cleaning filter” warning which never goes off, causing limp mode. We have to get these horses back to New Jersey on Monday.
@BDavis22 , welcome... As you can see they were in limp mode and had a critical load to deliver.

As you may have read before you replied, they were able to resolve the limp mode issue so they could proceed as you suggested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts