Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I bought a 04.5 2500hd 4x4 a few days ago. It has an edge attitude programer and 4" exhaust. 4" rancho lift on 315's.

truck has been good besides the tach screwing off after 20 min of owning it.

today I was on the hiway. took off from a stop in level 3. transmission was in 5th. 90ish MPH. truck went out of 5 and droped to 4 and the CEL went on. turned off the hiway and shut the truck off. turned back on after sitting for a min. and truck ran fine and drove fine since(shifts into 5 again). pulled codes and got these three: P0700, P0700 p, P0735. ereased codes and the truck has been fine since. CEL hasnt come back on.

any idea what happened? anything the trans will do to show signs of wear and tear? I was thinking of putting a HD torque converter and transgo shift kit in it but didnt want to do anything to the truck untill the summer... am I looking at doing a rebuild sooner then hoped?

thanks

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
you limped it.. to much power, to little tranny
Yup.It may have happened to the past owner.Every time you limp it,it'll get progressively easier to do it again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
makes me wonder if the prev. owner was running more than just the Edge............maybe killed the tranny and that's why he sold it??? I could be wrong......... but I would at least turn that Edge box down so the 'limp' doesn't happen anymore until your ready to upgrade that tranny. Good luck!! Ed.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Change your fuel filter and see if that doesnt help.(As strange as it sounds)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Also, you mentioned that the tach is messed-up...........I'm pretty-sure that G.M. extended the warr. on the speedo cluster so check with them first. If that doesn't work, get back with us here and we can help you with an easy-cheap fix.

BTW: to help you save that tranny, remember this: LOW rpm (2000+-) and HIGH boost (15 lb.+-) with over 1/2 throttle = limp-mode!!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
5th is the easiest gear to limp. I had a '05 LLY with Edge Juice with attitude. I limped it twice and both time 5th gear. Here's something I learned. If you "roll in" to the power in 5th, you will limp. If you stomp on it, it will downshift and take off no problem. I ran 3/5 all the time and only limped when rolling in to the power in 5th. 4th on down will hold it all day long. (as long as the previous owner wasn't running higher settings and already hurt the tranny) I'd put it back on 3 and when in 5th, you have to either accelerate easy or get on it enough to make it downshift. JMO

·
Registered
989 Posts
exactly!!...;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Maybe a diff animal, but on the LMM I've found an easy way to roll-onto the power is to touch the Tow/Haul button just as depressing the gopedal. It usually forces a quick downshift.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
havent limped it since. but I do back off alot when it shifts to 5th. dont ever need to go that fast anyways.

would installing a trans go shift kit help me save whats left of the tranny? would it make a worn tranny destroy quicker then just leaving it as is? I would think the added line presure on the C3 would only help me keep the trans in good shape for as long as possable. but maybe im wrong?

·
Registered
989 Posts
it would be a 'bandaid' and possibly a "false sense of security"..........but it could help. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool. thats all im looking for right now lol

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my 05. That is why I traded it in. I told the dealer that 5th was getting weak and they said they didn't care because it would turn into a warranty issue and not have to worry about it. Exactly the reason I bought brand new, never know what kind of shape used trucks are in and you can never trust a dealer to watch your back, CYA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts