Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Well I have a Transmission leak GMC said it’s coming from dipstick tube. That fix didn’t work now they are pulling out the Transmission. I had a neutral safety switch go bad with less than 200 miles on the truck. Now it has 30,000 miles on it and they are pulling the Transmission. Should I be concerned about case being cracked and they replace part of the case and not a new Transmission? Due to the heating and cooling or is that just an old wise tell?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thermal cycling can cause cracks but I've never seen it in one of these. The change in temperature is too gradual.

The case probably isn't cracked but there have been more then a few occurrences of porosity which can cause small leaks. This happens when you get air bubbles in the metal during the casting process.

If your dealership does it right you shouldn't have anything to worry about. These transmissions come apart and go back together again pretty easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up date it was the case. He showed me were it was leaking however neither he nor I cold see a crack. Things that make you go hum.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Change the bolt gaskets on the trany pump and the leak will go away! common problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it was the third time in the shop for tranny. My wife said your truck is always in the shop. So what to do. Have a person riding shot gun that hates your toy or spend the dough get new truck and have Smiles riding shotgun. Who needs a H2 when you have a happy hummer riding shot gun. so I now have a new toy and some one has my old toy. Every one has smiles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts