Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have some questions about transmision removal and the transgo kit. First, can the torque converter be left in during removal and reinstall of the trany without damaging the seal or pump?
It seems it would make the job a lot easier for one person if it is at all possible. Second, how would the transgo compare to the bully dog valves in terms of holding capacity if only the parts of the trango kit where used that could be done without trany removal, including the hole drilling in valve body and such? I know if you play you pay
, but if there is a way to hold 100 to 135hp it would help a lot of us who can't do the more complete upgrades at this time. Thanks for your knowledge.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Why not buy the Transgo kit and install valves, and do the rest at a later date when you put the converter in? How did we get from a Bullydog advertised rating of 50 hp to holding 135 hp?

mike

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
GPtimes2

I wouldn't recomend leaving the TC in place .... For the extra work to insure of proper installation with out damage out weighs the time it will take to remove inner plastic well ,starter and six bolts ... Then of course the reinstall ....

In order to get full benifit from the Transgo the complete install would be necessary ... All the parts associated work in conjunction with with each other so what small benifits prolly aren't worth the trouble of a partial install ...

I'd wait it out and just do it all .....

Mac

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've been told not to try rebuilding the 4L60E in my Suburban, too complicated for joe-average back yard mech. But, it seems there are quite a few folks tearing into the Allison. Is it that much easier to work on than my old GMC POS?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The allison is a much simpler trans then the 4L60E is... But with out proper knowledge/tools/experience/repair manuals, I caution against going into either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's, as always, you're a big help!
It's tough on us who have the power bug but lesser resources,
and have to space this stuff out (if I try and save to do it all, it's much harder).

I was thinking 135hp because they (bully dog) avertised 50 additional hp. If the allison would hold some over stock (maybe 100), then the kit would allow for a little more. I probably should be thinking of starting with the weakest link and proggresing from there (Clutch slipping, torque converter, U joints, Tie rods, Etc.).

Would the presure increase from these kits (I like the idea of installing the transgo in steps) take care of the weekest link, or would it improve part (some clutches) and leave others more vulnerable (C2's for example)? To the point of doing more harm than good at say 50hp, 100hp, 135hp, 200hp? (oop's, there's that power bug again)
Thank's Again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts